Friday, April 19, 2013

Movie Review: Stand By Me

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: The acting brings the characters and story to vivid life
Cons: Foul language, gross out humor, foul language, ending, and did I mention the foul language?
The Bottom Line:
Moving drama and
Great acting deserve their praise
Avoid the movie




Stand By Someone Else, Please

Since I didn't really start watching movies regularly until the mid-90's, I missed out on many of the "classics" of my generation. Stand by Me is one such movie. I recently had the chance to change that. It was a mistake I won't repeat.

The story follows the journey of four boys - Vern, Teddy, Chris, and Gordie (Jerry O'Connell, Corey Feldman, River Phoenix, and Wil Wheaton) as they transition from boy to man. Or at least teen. The summer before they start Jr. High, a boy their own age goes missing. When Vern hears where the boy's body is, they set out to find it so they can become heroes. While they journey, all four face fears, hopes, and disappointments whether it's the absence of parental love, a future career as a writer, or things that go bump in the night.

Now I'm going to be perfectly honest. I can see exactly why this film is considered by many a classic and get raves reviews. It's a very emotionally engaging drama. The four main characters are very well drawn, so you identify with each of them. You want to see them grow and be better for the experience. And you want their friendships to be strengthened.

Not that this is all drama. There are some funny moments. But they are mixed in at the right times to lighten the mood without killing it.

And the performances are wonderful. All four of the leads are perfect as these boys. They may have been popular in the 80's, but they should have all been at the start of long careers. The fact that River has died is tragic. And I'm a little surprised that Corey and Wil have dropped pretty much off the map. The rest of the cast is good as well, although very few people are in it for very long. The most notable of the supporting players is Kiefer Sutherland as Ace, the leader of the local gang.

Finally, this movie has the nostalgia angle going for it. It is set in a small town in the 50's. And there's something about the setting that makes me want to like it.

So why didn't I? Let's start with the fatal flaw. There is just way too much foul language, most of it coming from the 12 year olds. I know, I know, it is an R rated film. And there's a reason I normally don't go see them. But every time a four letter word came out of their mouths, I flinch. I never could get past that no matter how much I tried. As a side note, I also wondered just how much swearing the boys would really have done in the 50's. Maybe it's just my warped view of the decade as an innocent time, but I kept pondering that instead of what was happening on the screen.

As if that weren't enough, several of the comedic moments were gross out moments involving vomit and leeches (but not at the same time). Appropriate for the characters? Absolutely. Appreciated by me? Not so much.

Finally, there's the ending. I will grant you that it was completely realistic. But it was also completely depressing. And I'm just going to leave it at that so I don't spoil things worse then I probably already have.

I can see why people enjoy this movie. It is a great coming of age drama that I'm sure will continue to resonate with people for years to come. But I just couldn't get past the language to truly enjoy the film. As a result, I will not be watching Stand by Me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.