Monday, April 15, 2013

Music Review: Another Time, Another Place by Avalon

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Avalon does a good job of making most of these classics their own.
Cons: A few of these songs don't work.
The Bottom Line:
Release of covers
The pop updates mostly work
And old songs made new




Musical Memories Made New

When I first heard that Avalon was going to release a cover album, I was a bit skeptical. True, I do enjoy Avalon's music. But I couldn't quite see their normal sound working for such artists as Twila Paris or Steve Green. Yet the resulting CD, Another Time, Another Place, actually works well for the most part.

Before we begin, I should clarify how I view Avalon's normal sound. I'd call it electro-pop with tight harmonies for adults. Yes, it really is that hard to classify. They include lots of slickly produced musical sounds in their music, yet it never sounds overproduced. The group is made up of four members (who seem to rotate fairly regularly), two men and two women. Since their very first release, they have had tight harmonies which are a joy to hear. And I'd say their sound and lyrics are aiming more at adults or at least young adults and less at the teens you might normally think after a superficial listen.

So how does all that work on these classics? Surprisingly well. Take the opening track. Twila Paris won all kinds of awards for "God is in Control." Avalon ups the tempo slightly, but it was already a pretty upbeat song. They really increase the drums and music, but the result is just as joyously powerful as it was when Twila originally recorded it.

I almost didn't recognize "For the Sake of the Call" at first. Gone is the quiet acoustic intro that Steven Curtis Chapman had used. Granted, it still has a guitar intro, but the electric power chords sound very different. Once they start singing, however, I'm singing right along. Again, the tempo is faster, especially once they hit the chorus, but it works well.

The title track was made famous by Sandi Patty and Wayne Watson. In fact, it titled a Sandi Patty CD from the early 90's. Since there are four members of this group, they easily work the duet parts from the original. And the harmonies are even sweeter.

I was especially struck with "Friend of a Wounded Heart." The song opens with plucked strings. It's a different sound for the song, and I really love it. Of course the song itself is a wonderful reminder that Jesus is a friend who always understands us.

I must admit, I was never a big fan of Chrystal Lewis's "People Get Ready...Jesus is Comin'" when it was overplayed on the radio. (And the fact that it was on every couple of hours might have had something to do with it.) I gave it a new try here, and I must say I really do like it. They don't really do much different to it. It's pretty much the same rhythm, and they keep the strong bass line of the original. And the reminder that I need to live my life as if Jesus is returning soon is a good one.

On the other hand, I still don't like "Addictive Love." I guess no matter who records Bebe and Cece Winans' songs, I'm not going to be a fan. Of course, the fact that they tried to turn an r&b song into a pop piece doesn't help matters. This is the one song I skip whenever I get to it.

Several of the songs here are slower pop pieces. Avalon has never been known for their quiet pieces, and that holds true here, too. Some, like Amy Grant's "Thy Word" and "El-Shaddai" are okay, but they were much better as the quiet, worshipful pieces they were written to be. On the other hand, Michael W. Smith's "Place in This World" becomes a powerful rock ballad. I love this version. And "The Reason We Sing" works quite well as an upbeat power ballad here.

The biggest misstep in this regard is "People Need the Lord." Steve Green's version is a classic. And it is soft, quiet, and reflective. Avalon attempts to make it into a power ballad, but the song wasn't supposed to be one. What's too bad is there are several Steve Green classics that would have been much better suited to Avalon's style.

For those wondering, "We Will Stand" is the same version Avalon did on their last regular CD. It features original artist Russ Taff on this call for unity.

Then there's the last song. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem calling "Testify to Love" a classic. It will probably be the defining song of Avalon's career. But I must admit I am wondering why they chose to include it here on a project highlighting other artist's songs. It's probably just me, but it's not something I would do. Then again, two of the members of the group today weren't there when they recorded it the first time. And it is slightly different, but the casual listener wouldn't notice the differences.

For those who enjoy classic Christian music, Another Time, Another Place will be a walk down memory lane. Yes, the songs sound slightly different. But most of them are still wonderful. And for those who aren't familiar with some of these songs, it's a great way to learn some Christian music history with a modern sound.

CD Length: 1:06:41
Tracks:
1. God is in Control
2. For the Sake of the Call
3. Thy Word
4. Another Time, Another Place
5. Solid as the Rock
6. People Get Ready…Jesus is Comin'
7. The Basics of Life
8. We Will Stand
9. The Reason We Sing
10. Friend of a Wounded Heart
11. El-Shaddai
12. Place in This World
13. Addictive Love
14. People Need the Lord
15. Testify to Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.