Friday, April 19, 2013

Music Review: Godspell - 2001 Revival Cast Album

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Turn of the century arrangements makes the songs new
Cons: Not a huge fan of "Beautiful City."
The Bottom Line:
Updated soundtrack
All the familiar songs with
Modern arrangements




A Folk Musical Gets a Pop/Rock Update

Mention the musical Godspell, and chances are you'll get a blank look. If you happen to be talking to someone who does know about it, they'll talk about the 70's folk arrangements and how dated it sounds. And if we were talking about the Original Cast Recording, I'd have to agree with you. But we aren't. In 2001, the musical got a contemporary update. And I love it.

What is amazing is that, by changing the instruments, you get a whole new feel. Gone are the acoustic instruments of 30 years ago. Instead, we get modern electric guitar and keyboard with lots of percussion.

Now I can hear the purists out there complaining already. But trust me, you'll still recognize it. In fact, my first time through, I was singing along. And I couldn't help myself. The songs are so energetic and catchy you want to sing if you know them. That also tells you something else. It may sound like a modern pop/soft rock CD, but they haven't messed with the melodies. At the core, these are still the same songs we've loved from the beginning.

As far as I know, this is the most complete soundtrack available for the musical. What do I mean by that? This is the only place to get the "Opening" and "Tower of Babble" tracks. Granted, "Opening" isn't that special. It's a standard prelude mixing in some of the songs from the show interrupted by the voice of God giving a brief Preface based on creation.

More interesting to me is the "Tower of Babble." In it, the actors take on the philosophies of major philosophers of history ranging from Socrates to DaVinci, Nietzche, Sartre, and even Thomas Aquinas and Martin Luther. As they continue their back and forth things get more heated and eventually just become noise, which is interrupted by the shofar blowing.

They do retain touches like that in the show. And it works so well. The shofar is actually the start of the next track. It's the character playing John the Baptist blowing it as the introduction to "Prepare Ye." I love that transition between songs.

For those who don't know the musical, it is loosely based on the gospels, but it presents the story of Jesus in a series of vignettes, most of which are light and fun but with some messages. And the songs reflect that. They range from the serious "Save the People" and "On the Willows" to the much lighter "Learn Your Lessons Well" and "All for the Best."

And there are some great songs here. "Save the People" is Jesus' cry as He starts his ministry. It's always been a favorite of mine, and the finger picked guitar here only makes it better. It's slightly faster than normal, but it works so well.

"Day by Day" has actually turned up in some modern hymnals. It's a simple chorus repeated multiple times asking for a closer walk with Jesus. It starts a cappella but they soon add in piano as the rest of the cast joins the soloist.

There are two songs associated with the musical I have never liked. While they still aren't my favorite tracks, I like their incarnations here better. "Beautiful City" was written for the movie. I know part of my problem with it is I never forgave it for taking the place of one of my favorite songs in the movie. Here, they stick it at the beginning of the second act. It's an upbeat anthem of hope for a better future. I disagree with the message of the song, but I do enjoy it here.

The other song that gets a new life here is the next track, "Turn Back, O Man." The original version included the female singer speaking comments to men in the audience and flirting with them as she walked through the crowd warning them to leave behind their sin. Um, how do those two go together? They leave out those spoken comments while keeping the rest of the song. It has a hooky beat and the keyboards give it a fun feel.

Ironically, I like this soundtrack because they add dialogue to two of the tracks. I'll admit, adding part of the Sermon on the Mount to the beginning of "Light of the World" (which is based on part on that famous passage) doesn't add much to the song. But it makes a good intro to this driving reminder to be light and salt.

"All for the Best" has always been a favorite of mine. It's a duet between Jesus and Judas Iscariot where Jesus reminds us that our Heavenly reward will make up for persecution here. It feels like a piece from the 20's and come complete with tap dancing when actually performed. The piano backing really adds to that feel. In fact, it still almost sounds like the soundtrack for a silent film. Here, they interrupt it to do a vaudeville inspired routine based around the passage about the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and the plank in your own. It's funny and fits the song perfectly.

There are still the quieter moments, most noticeably in the second act as the crucifixion nears. "By My Side" is a beautiful ballad with tight harmonies. This is one of the few songs where the keyboard and guitar are allowed to reign without the constant percussion. "On the Willows" is based on a passage in Jeremiah. This one brings in a cello to do with the keyboard.

I used to listen to the original cast recording quite regularly. After having that one 10 years, I got this one. Now, I hardly ever listen to it in favor of this one.

Purists will probably never give up their original cast recording. But for my money, if you are only going to get one version of the Godspell soundtrack, get this one.

CD Length: 54:40
Tracks:
1. Opening
2. Tower of Babble
3. Prepare Ye
4. Save the People
5. Day by Day
6. Learn Your Lessons Well
7. Bless the Lord
8. All for the Best
9. All Good Gifts
10. Light of the World
11. Beautiful City
12. Turn Back, O Man
13. Alas for You
14. By My Side
15. We Beseech Thee
16. Day by Day (Reprise)
17. On the Willows
18. Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.