Saturday, April 13, 2013

Music Review: Godspell - Original Cast Recording

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun and beautiful songs
Cons: Dated 70's folk music isn't for all.
The Bottom Line:
Folk musical songs
That aren't for everyone one
Since they feel dated




Folk Gospel Soundtrack

If I asked you to name 70's musicals based on Bible stories, odds are you'd come up with Andrew Lloyd Weber's two classics. This little musical from Stephen Schwartz (in fact, his first) seems to have been relegated to the background. This is a shame because I really enjoy Godspell.

Now if you go into this expecting the normal glitz and glamour of a musical, you'll be highly disappointed. This is a small production. In fact, this recording is billed as the original cast. And the play opened off off Broadway. And it was designed to be a folk musical. This means the focus of the instruments is on piano and guitar and not a full orchestra. But it really works for this show. Additionally, there are only 10 members of the cast. You'd never know by listening to them, but it gives you an idea of how small the cast truly is.

Additionally, this recording is very dated. If you had any doubts about this being from the 70's, they're erased before you've gotten very far into the recording. To me, that adds to the charm.

The disc opens with a shofar. One of the cast members is actually blowing this ancient horn before he starts to sing "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord." It's a simple song to open the disc since the lyrics are just the title repeated. But it always gets me in the mood for the Biblically based songs to come.

One of my favorite songs comes next. "Save the People" is the first song to feature a solo by Jesus, the only true character in the piece. It starts with acoustic guitar, but is joined by piano as it goes along. What I love about it is the lyrics. It's a cry for God's salvation. It starts out quiet, but it quickly builds in intensity as volume as it goes along.

Quiet also describes a couple favorites from later in the disc. "By My Side" and "On the Willows" are two quiet ballads used to sober things up for the climax. "By My Side" is a duet with chilling harmonies. It starts with three guitars, which do get joined by piano and percussion later. But the first half gives me chills. "On the Willows" is actually taken from the Old Testament book of Jeremiah. This song is sung only by a trio of the cast (most of the time, they all join in at some point), and the backing is a duet of piano and guitar.

But this soundtrack isn't all serious. Far from it. In fact, "All for the Best" is a vaudeville inspired riot. It's got piano and ukulele, and the percussion in the background gives you an idea of the tap dancing they must have originally done with it. And the lyrics, about the differences between poor and rich, are actually kinda funny. At least it brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

Another fun song is "We Beseech Thee." This piano based song is about our need for salvation. It's got a nice beat. I find my head bobbing along within the first couple of measures.

The musical is based on the Gospel of Matthew. Two songs really show that. "Light of the World" follows a passage from the Sermon on the Mount very closely. And "Alas for You" is the rebuke Jesus gives the Pharisees late in the Gospel. While both songs are great, I find I can no longer read those passages in the Bible without hearing these songs in my head. Fortunately, I haven't broken out singing them in church. Yet. (As a note, I would swear they use an organ for "Light of the World," but there isn't one listed in the credits, so it much be a keyboard.)

Probably the best known song from the soundtrack is "Day by Day." This prayer for God's help in our daily lives has turned up lots of places. It formed the basis for a joke in Meet the Parents (a joke I had to explain to my friends later). It was the chorus of a DC Talk song. Heck, it's even in my church's hymnal.

The soundtrack does have a few misfires, however. "Turn Back, O Man" is sung by a female as she walks through the audience, occasionally talking to individual members. As you can imagine, those moments don't work well here. Finally, the "Finale" is rather weak. Story wise, it's crucifixion of Jesus, but the lyrics have never connected with me. The keyboard certainly makes it dramatic, and I do enjoy listening to it, however.

Those familiar with later productions of the musical will want to know that "Beautiful City" is not on this soundtrack since it was written for the movie version that was filmed several years after this was released.

Because of the dated sound, this particular soundtrack takes some getting used to. But if you enjoy 70's folk music, the original cast recording of Godspell just might be for you.

CD Length: 45:43
Tracks:
1. Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord
2. Save the People
3. Day by Day
4. Learn Your Lessons Well
5. Bless the Lord
6. All for the Best
7. All Good Gifts
8. Light of the World
9. Turn Back, O Man
10. Alas for You
11. By My Side
12. We Beseech Thee
13. On the Willows
14. Finale
15. Day by Day (Reprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.