Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Music Review: The Line Between the Two by Mark Harris

Stars: 3.5 out of 5
Pros: The truth of the lyrics can really encourage you
Cons: Unoriginal lyrics; songs sound too similar to each other
The Bottom Line:
Disc could be better
But the truth of the lyrics
Make it worth hearing




Given a Bit of Time, the Line is a Little Higher

When the group 4Him broke up, I was hardly surprised. After all, two of their members had already released solo projects. Mark Harris was actually the second member to do that with The Line Between The Two. Being the loyal fan I am, I bought it when it came out. At first listen I wasn't that impressed. But I pulled it out again recently and gave it a second listen. It's not quite as bad as I remembered.

For his solo debut, Mark offers a challenge to live life to the fullest. Ironically enough, my only complaint with the disc is that is doesn't take enough chances. The music is mid tempo pop and the songs do begin to sound the same by the time everything is done. And the lyrics can be a bit trite. But there is still some good stuff here.

Take the disc opener. "For the First Time" embodies that challenge perfectly. Through the song, Mark goes from someone waiting for life to begin to someone ready to jump in with both feet. It's upbeat with steady drums and strong electric guitar. And it's a fun, ear catching song.

God's part in the Christian's living life to the fullest is explored in the next two songs. "Carry the Light" reminds us of God's love. It's got a pretty piano base to it. "Hello to Goodbye" is about that moment of ultimate surrender to God.

I was surprised the first time I heard the title track. I figured it would be about the line between right and wrong. Instead, it uses the analogy of the dash on a tombstone to remind us that what defines us and ultimate matters is how we lived our lives between our birth and death. At the time, I was hearing this analogy all the time. It's good, but it's not as original as it pretends to be.

"Find Your Wings" is the latest in a long line of graduation classics. It's a father's prayer for his kids to live up to their full potential. I'm tempted to call it a fast ballad, but it seems to be a little too fast for even that distinction. And, of course, the ideas behind the song, even to the image of someone soaring with wings, is familiar.

The final two songs deal a bit more with the struggles of life. "Speak to Me" is about those times in life when God doesn't seem to be close. It pleads with God to break the silence. It's set in a minor key, which makes it pretty and helps it stand out from the other songs on the disc.

The ballad "Until" closes out the disc. It's a prayer of commitment to wait for God before moving on. I wish I were always there in my personal life.

So, if the lyrics aren't that original and most of the disc is mid tempo guitar/piano based pop, why am I giving it four stars? Because, when I pulled it out again, I really connected with the songs. Maybe it's because of where I am in life right now, but God really began to use these songs in my life.

The Line Between The Two earns 3.5 stars. If you enjoy mid tempo pop music, you'll really enjoy it.

CD Length: 38:23
Tracks:
1. For the First Time
2. Carry the Light
3. Hello to Goodbye
4. Wish You Were Here
5. The Line Between the Two
6. Ordinary Life
7. Find Myself in You
8. Find Your Wings
9. Speak to Me
10. Until

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.