Monday, April 8, 2013

Music Review: Live for You by Rachael Lampa

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Rachael's beautiful voice handles the balance of upbeat pop and ballads.
Cons: "God Loves You" is admittedly weak.
The Bottom Line:
Polished, packaged pop
Debut for a young artist
It's fun above all




Polished, Fun Pop Debut

What were you doing at 14? If you were at all like me, you were just trying to survive the transition from Jr. High to High School. That wasn't the case for Rachael Lampa. She was only 14 when she recorded, Live For You, her Christian music debut. But if you are thinking about letting her age scare you away, don't. This is an impressive debut for anyone of any age.

Not to take away from Rachael, but part of the reason for the success is the amazing talent behind the scenes. The CD was produced by uber producers Brown Bannister and Brent Bourgeois. Brown alone had spent over two decades in Christian music by the time this was released in 2000 and his credits include many of Amy Grant's CDs. Brent didn't have as impressive a resume behind him at the time, but this was one of many great projects he did.

Rachael did none of the song writing, instead leaving it to such big names in Christian music (in 2000) as Cindy Morgan, Chris Eaton, Chris Rodriguez, and Ginny Owens.

Now I'm not trying to take any from what Rachael accomplished on this disc. Production and writing only go so far if the voice singing isn't good. Her voice is absolutely amazing! Most of the CD is Latin flavored pop pieces, but there are several ballads thrown in for good measure. Rachael flows from one style to the other flawlessly. And those ballads allow her to show off her amazing voice. Let me tell you, it soars.

The disc opens with "Day of Freedom," which has almost an Arabic flare to it. The song is about the unity believers have in Jesus. I'll admit I wouldn't have associated that with freedom, but the idea we are free to get along actually does work. It's unfortunate we don't live that way.

The promised Latin flavor kicks in on the title track. It's got a nice beat to it with some good guitar and strings to back her up. This single was huge on Christian radio, and the first time I heard it, I loved this song of commitment because of all Christ has done for us. No, it's not a new theme, but it does seem fresh here.

"Always be My Home" is the first ballad on the disc. It definitely starts out quieter then the two songs that come before it with only piano behind Rachael's voice. As the song builds, guitar and strings come in. And this is our first real chance to hear her amazing voice. The song itself is about the freedom God's love and forgiveness gives us.

Now I'll be the first to confess that "God Loves You" is cheesy. The chorus really doesn't have much to say beyond the title. But you know what? I think it is very fun. We're back to upbeat for this song with plenty of guitar.

"Blessed" actually showed up on an episode of Survivor at one point. (No, I don't remember which season.) It's a slightly upbeat ballad that picks up speed for the bridge. It's a great reminder of God's blessings in the world around us.

The fun continues in the second half. "You Lift Me Up" still brings a smile to my face and makes me want to dance along. "Shaken" is the hardest song on here. It's close to the overproduced pop that was popular around the time, but it never goes overboard.

The last four songs are on the slow side, with the fastest being the mid-tempo "Secret Place." They are just as great as the upbeat tracks early in the album.

My favorite track is the final one, "My Father's Heart." This track is just Rachael, a piano, and some drums. It's a slow, beautiful ballad that once again shows of Rachael's incredible voice. In it, she lets the wonder of nature lead her to not only praise God but to commit to live "Only to please my Father's Heart."

Based on the strength of this debut, many were predicting a long, solid career for Rachael. Unfortunately, she seems to have dropped of the radar. Imagine, being out of a career by 22. Still, Live For You is a CD that has been part of my regular rotation since I got it in 2000 and will stay there for many more years to come.

CD Length: 45:48
Tracks:
1. Day of Freedom
2. Live for You
3. Always Be My Home
4. God Loves You
5. Blessed
6. You Lift Me Up
7. Shaken
8. Free
9. Hide Me
10. Secret Place
11. My Father's Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.