Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Music Review: No Compromise - Remembering the Music of Keith Green by Various Artists

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Classic lyrics get a fresh sound.
Cons: A couple songs don't work.
The Bottom Line:
90's update to
Challenging 70's songs
And they mostly work




Keith's Music Still Makes an Impact

Keith Green was a pioneer of Christian music. Even though he only recorded for six years (1977-1982), he has been remembered long after his death in an airplane crash. In fact, several of his songs have become standards in churches around the country.

Ten years after his death, a group of Christian artists came together to record a tribute CD. The result is No Compromise. While there are a couple missteps, this is a pretty solid compilation.

Now, I should mention that I'm not a huge Keith Green fan. I do like many of his best known hits. However, I find most of his songs blend together. He had a very distinct folk/pop sound that is heavily rooted in the late 70's and early 80's.

And that's one of the best and worst things about this disc. Each artist records the song in their style, or at least their style in 1992. A few times, that doesn't work out that well. But most of the time the songs still work with a pop or rock flair. And best of all, Keith's passion still comes through.

The CD opens with Russ Taff's take on "Your Love Broke Through." It's a solid pop take on the song. And this is a great praise song. Written early in Keith's career, the song is a poetic praise song about the gift of salvation. And it still resonates as it describes what life is like as a Christian.

But if you're looking for fun, look no further then "He'll Take Care of the Rest." Granted, this has always been a fun song. But Steven Curtis Chapman does a great job with it. This version skirts the line between pop and light rock. It's got a heavy drum beat and guitar, but it's horns, too. The lyrics are a great reminder about Who we should have faith in. Using stories from the Old Testament, it points out that God always keeps his promises. My only complaint here is that Steven leaves out my favorite ad lib from Keith's version. But that's a minor point.

Not surprising, my favorite track on here is "Grace by Which I Stand." It doesn't surprise me because it has always been my favorite Keith Green song. It is covered here by Steve Green (no relation). The song is heavy on the keyboard and guitar, and sound beautiful. Written a few years after Keith's conversion, it talks about the struggles to keep living for God after the initial conversion rush has left. It is such an honest confession. Yet it offers the hope of Christ's grace to help us through. This is one of those songs I can listen to over and over again and never grow tired of hearing.

There is one song on there that is covered by a non artist. "Make My Life a Prayer to You" is covered by Keith's widow, Melody Green Sievright. Since she originally wrote the song, I find it especially moving. This is the song that the disc's title comes from. It's part a prayer of dedication and part a prayer of confession about the struggles of life. And boy can she sing. It's too bad she never pursued a career of her own (at least that I know about). The keyboard and guitar are a great backing for this ballad.

Keith was not by any stretch a rock artist, especially in the 90's sense of the word. So it shouldn't come as a surprise when I saw the biggest misstep on here is Charlie Peacock's version of "I Can't Believe It." Outside of a couple songs, I've never been a fan, but Charlie always struck me as trying to push the envelope on Christian rock toward alternative. I'm sure it's partially a style preference, but this song here just grates on my nerves.

Surprisingly, rock band Petra's take on "I Don't Want to Fall Away from You" works well. And if you want a different take on things, check out Glad's a cappella version of "How Can They Live Without Jesus?" With both of these, I would have nixed the idea on paper, but listening to them is an absolute pleasure.

In fact, the only other track that truly doesn't work for me is "You are the One" by Rich Mullins. I normally enjoy Rich's music, but there's too much playing around with the music. And the background vocals sound like they are chanting. And it helps that this was never a favorite of mine even when Keith sang it.

But the award for most capturing Keith is Michael Card and his version of "Asleep in the Light." From the mostly piano music to the passion to the vocals, it's easy to forget who I am really listening to if I'm not paying close attention.

As an added bonus, the artists reflect in the booklet on what Keith's music and ministry have meant to them over the years. It's a fitting tribute to a great man and musician.

No, this will never replace Keith's music. But No Compromise is a fun way to hear the familiar songs in a new way.

CD Length: 49:52
Tracks:
1. Your Love Broke Through - Russ Taff
2. He'll Take Care of the Rest - Steven Curtis Chapman
3. Grace by Which I Stand - Steve Green
4. I Can't Believe It - Charlie Peacock
5. I Don't Want to Fall Away from You - Petra
6. Oh Lord, You're Beautiful - Margaret Becker
7. Asleep in the Light - Michael Card
8. Summer Snow - Susan Ashton
9. You are the One - Rich Mullins
10. Make My Life a Prayer to You - Melody Green Sievright
11. How Can They Live Without Jesus? - Glad
12. There is a Redeemer - Brown Bannister & Kelly Willard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.