Friday, April 5, 2013

Music Review: You Deliver Me by Selah


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: More great hymn arrangements and other songs of praise
Cons: Could use a bit more style variety
The Bottom Line:
Transition over
Selah emerges as strong
As they've ever been




Amy Makes Her Full Debut with Selah on You Deliver Me

While Amy Perry had recorded two songs with Selah for their previous release of duets, You Deliver Me marks the first full record she had recorded with Todd Smith and Allan Hall.  While the mix of songs feels a little different, long time fans quickly learned there was no reason to fear that the group was changing directions too much.

In fact, the disc opens with Selah's trademark, a hymn.  After Amy sings the chorus "Into My Heart," the group launches into "Fairest Lord Jesus."  Allan's piano playing and light strings highlight this well loved hymn.

There are a few more modern songs on this disc.  After all, there are only so many classic hymns that the group can record.  Here, they include "How Deep the Father's Love for Us," which I would argue will still be sung in churches 50 years from now.  This version is very quiet and string driven until the piano does finally come in.

They also include "Hosanna."  This is an upbeat song of praise that I've heard a time or two before and can't quite place where.  I love the song, so it's nice to see it here.

A staple of Selah's discs is at least one song in English and Congolese, the language that Todd grew up speaking as a missionary kid in Africa.  Here, that track is "I Have Decided."  It's a good fit for the more tribal rhythms they always give these tracks.  Todd is joined by his brother Jack and sister-in-law Molly.

And those looking for something with a Gospel feel will love their arrangement of "Glory to His Name."  I must admit I'm not super familiar with this one, although I know I've heard it before.  It's so much fun here with a choir backing the trio up.

Having said that, there are a few subtle changes in this disc.  The first is not as good.  Outside of the couple of tracks I just talked about, this disc is fairly uniform.  We've got piano with some strings in slow to mid-tempo arrangements.  Selah's fans will still enjoy it, and it does help you focus on God.  In some ways, it's good since it doesn't distract you with wild style changes.  But at times it can be rather bland.

On the other hand, Allan steps out from behind the piano and does more singing on this disc.  Yes, his incredible piano playing is still the backbone for many of the songs, but I enjoy hearing him sing, too.  In fact, he sings on all the tracks but "I Have Decided," which just features the Smith siblings.

Finally, there are a few more modern tracks here.  That includes the title track, "You Deliver Me."  A soaring anthem of the victory we can have through God, it is sure to lift your spirits.

Todd actually co-wrote "Beautiful Terrible Cross."  This one will be added to my Good Friday rotation as it is a powerful meditation on how horrible the cross was to Jesus yet how amazing it is for us.

Finally, there's "Unredeemed," a meditation on the truth that God can use anything for His glory when it is surrendered to Him.  This is the song I found myself singing the most when I wasn't listening to the disc.

While I wish the disc had just a bit more variety to it, I still think that You Deliver Me is a great next chapter for Selah.  As a newer fan just enjoying this disc, I certainly do notice the changes.  But it feels like a nice progression for the group, one fans old and new will enjoy.

CD Length: 55:24
Tracks:
1. Into My Heart/Fairest Lord Jesus
2. How Deep the Father's Love for Us
3. You Deliver Me
4. Hosanna
5. Standing on the Promises (Medley)
6. The Lord's Prayer (Deliver Us)
7. Beautiful Terrible Cross
8. Unredeemed
9. My Jesus I Love Thee
10. I Have Decided
11. Glory to His Name
12. Depth of Mercy
13. I Surrender All
14. God be with You
15. I Will Carry You (Audrey's Song)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.