Friday, July 15, 2016

July 15th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

We've made it!  It's Friday!!  That means it is time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week's book is The Sound of Murder by Cindy Brown.


                                                                    

This is the second in her Ivy Meadows series.  Ivy is an aspiring actress who stumbles into mysteries.  In this book, she's starring in a world premier play, The Sound of Cabaret, which mashes up The Sound of Murder with Cabaret (as if you couldn't figure that out from the title of the play).  And that should give you some kind of clue about the fun that is in this book.
However, it starts out rather simply.  Here's the opening.

I should never do anything pre-coffee.

Skipping ahead of page 56, we get this exchange between Ivy and her PI uncle she works for part time to pay the bills.

"Do you want to be an actor or a detective?"
Aye, there's the rub.  I really did want to be a detective.  I also desperately wanted to be an actor, had ever since I was little.  I felt like I was in love with two demanding men at the same time.
"Can't I be both?" I asked.

I will be out of town the next couple of weeks, but I have plenty of reviews scheduled to run while I'm gone, so I hope you'll keep stopping by.  One of those reviews is for this book, and that review will post next Friday.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun. I am really trying to picture that combination. This week I am spotlighting Allegiance of Honor by Nalini singh. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound good. Hope you have a good trip.

    Here's my Friday read - Anxiety for Beginners by Eleanor Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with her - why can't she be both? It sounds like an interesting book. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds like it could be interesting. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting one.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually hadn't figured out what the The Sound of Caberet was a mashup of because I can't imagine how those two would go together! This does sound good and I can definitely identify with that first line. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That opening sounds like me... lol.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds likes a fun one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book sounds interesting. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with the book beginning - coffee is a must first thing...lol...here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the series and recommend it. Review on my blog
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the series and recommend it. Review on my blog
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the series and recommend it. Review on my blog
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.