Sunday, February 9, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Maleficent - Windows of Evil - 2018 Release

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Nice touch in the frame
Cons: The picture is too impressionistic.
The Bottom Line:
Maleficent pin
Captures the stained-glass feeling
But doesn’t look good

Evil Misses the Mark

Being the completest I am, I had to buy all of the entries in Disney Windows of Evil series.  However, I find myself questioning the decisions made when they designed the Maleficent window.

I’m not surprised that they created a window based around Maleficent.  She is an extremely popular villain, so it makes complete sense to me.  And I get that they were trying to do something a little different.  But it is much more impressionistic than the rest of the windows in the series, and it doesn’t really work as a result.

What am I talking about?  Each pin in this series creates a faux stained-glass window around a famous Disney villain.  I saw faux because it is a pin, and each pin has a solid back, so you can’t actually shine light through it.  The design has a silver colored frame, and silver lines through it, to help capture the look and feel of stained glass.  That is all done well here.

The problem comes with the picture they decided to create in the middle.  Against a red and green background we’ve got a dragon’s head with Maleficent’s horns.  Down near the bottom, we’ve got what looks like Maleficent’s silhouette from the back facing the dragon.  It’s different.  Honestly, if I didn’t know who or what this was supposed to be, I’m not sure I would have been able to guess.  And, considering that just about every other Window of Evil or Magic (the companion series) features the hero or villain taking up most of the frame, I’m confused as to what they were trying to do here.

I do enjoy the touches this series of pins have in the frames.  While most of the frame here is classy looking straight lines, there is a spinning wheel up on the top of the frame.  I love that.

Maleficent has a very passionate and loyal fan base.  Even though this pin is the weakest in either of the pin series, it is one of the most expensive on the secondary market.  Just say Maleficent, and it becomes extremely popular.

However, that doesn’t keep me from finding this particular pin disappointing.  Unless you must have everything Maleficent or in a series once you start collecting it, there is no reason to track down this pin.

Interested in seeing the pin?  Here's a link to my picture on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.