Friday, June 17, 2022

June 17th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday!  And that means it is time for a Friday post.  I will be participating in the following:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

The teasers from the first three will be coming from Scone Cold Killer by Lena Gregory.


This is the first book in the All-Day Breakfast Café Mysteries.  It's been on my radar for a while, and I'm glad I finally read it since I enjoyed it.  For Book Beginnings and First Line Friday, here's now the book begins:

"I'm just surprised you got out of New York without killing that son of a -"

And yes, the line really does break off there.  It's the closest the book gets to swearing.  And that is an attention getter of an opening sentence, isn't it?

Shall we move on to 56% into the ebook for Friday 56?  This is a bit longer, but I think it is worth it:

The woman stopped in front of the counter and slid her clutch beneath her arm.  "Bradley left something with you that belongs to me.  I'd like it back."
"I don't know what you're talk about.  Bradley didn't leave anything with me."
Her smile held more contempt than Gia would have thought possible.  "You really do have that innocent routine down pat, don't you?  But guess what?  I'm not buying it."

I finished up the book on Wednesday.  And I'll be reviewing it next Wednesday, so I hope you'll come back then to see what I thought of it.

Let's move on to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Do you post your reviews before publication day or wait until close to or on publication date?

I typically post my reviews on or a little after publication date.  I've got a couple this month that are going up the day before publication date.  I've been known to post a week early if I have a lot of books I've gotten ARCs for coming out the same date.  And last September, I was two and a half weeks early with one review because so many books were coming out the same day.  But that's rare.  I probably should post a little earlier than I do, but I seem to have fallen into the release day ARC review schedule and it works for me.

How's that for a long rambling way of saying it's mostly on publication day.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

15 comments:

  1. The title and the cover illustration don't seem to match. Fun first line. It sets the stage well. The Heart's Invisible Furies

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beginning... LOL... LOVE that 56 though! Sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Great excerpts, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Good start, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one awhile ago. It reminds me that I've fallen behind on this series. I need to catch up. I enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. I love the cover.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/06/17/friday-56-the-book-of-cold-cases-by-simone-st-james/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this one. Plus, the cover is super cute! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that little dog on the cover. I'm the same about posting reviews, but, like you when I have a LOT coming out the same day, it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the look of this one. I'm glad to hear you liked it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m currently reading Midnight’s Budding Morrow by Carolyn Miller.
    “The following morning, despite mild admonitions from Mrs. Broomhead, [Sarah] breakfasted downstairs.”
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m on a shared blog so I submit my reviews as soon as I get them done. But someone else schedules when to post. Usually they go up in release day or soon after. Otherwise, I post on retail sites , goodreads etc, as soon as I write my review.

    My first line this week comes from Free Fall by Nancy Mehl :
    Chapter 1
    “The abandoned amusement park reminded Logan of an aging bride waiting for a bridegroom who never came.”

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that opening line! Definitely an attention-grabber, like you said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually wait until release day so I don't forget to add my review on Amazon. :)

    I posted the first line from Written on the Wind by Elizabeth Camden: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/06/17/written-on-the-wind/

    Hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've really enjoyed another series by this author and this one is on my TBR. Love the teasers you shared! I typically try and post reviews the week of publication but sometimes am off a week or so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.