Thursday, March 7, 2024

Book Review: Knot Ready for Murder by Mary Marks (Quilting Mysteries #9)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good mystery, great ending
Cons: Over the top characters; the initial premise
The Bottom Line:
A not so ex-wife
Brings mayhem to Martha’s life
This series ends well




A Hitch on the Way to Get Hitched

I always have mixed feelings when I am approaching the last book in a series I’ve enjoyed.  I don’t want to say goodbye to the characters I’ve come to love, but my to be read list is so filled with books that I can’t really complain about having time to get to those.  So it was wish mixed feelings that I sat down to read Knot Ready for Murder, the nineth and final book in the Quilting Mysteries from Mary Marks.

Martha Rose has finally agreed to marry her very patient fiancĂ©.  However, Crusher drops a bombshell on her.  It turns out that he’s already married.  Decades ago, he married a family friend to protect her from the scandal of being an unwed mother.  He thought it was annulled, but he’s recently learned it wasn’t.  Worse yet, Crusher’s wife is coming to LA to visit.

Even though Crusher and Hadas haven’t seen each other in decades, it is clear that Hadas still has no plans of giving Crusher the divorce he wants.  But she’s been in town less than 24 hours when she is kidnapped from Martha ad Crusher’s home.  Can Martha figure out what really happened to her?  Or is Crusher now a widower?

It is rare that books in the series I read start up right after the previous book in the series ended, but that’s what happened here.  In fact, the opening paragraphs are the exact same.  I’m not sure I would have recognized that if I hadn’t read the two books so close together.  To be clear, this isn’t a complaint or criticism at all.  I think it is cool, and it definitely works for the story the author is telling here.  This does make some updates we get on characters from the previous book a little compressed timeline wise, but that is a minor complaint.

I am going to complain, however, about the basic set up of the book.  I’m not a fan of the previous spouse coming back to complicate things.  Just a little too soap opera for me.

Having said that, this book does a good job spinning a compelling story from the premise.  I was along for the ride and enjoyed watching Martha figure out what was really going on while fighting for her future.  The ending was great at bringing everything to a climax.

The author went into this book knowing it would be the final book in the series.  As a result, I wish we could have gotten to see more of a couple of series regulars who pretty much just had cameos here.  On the other hand, I was happy to see a couple of the supporting characters I’d felt were over the top were toned down here.  I actually enjoyed them.  Granted, we did get another character who was a bit over the top to make up for it.  Still, I loved her by the end of the book as well.  And I’m very curious when one character became so antagonistic.  I didn’t remember him being that way last time we saw him, but that’s probably on my letting too much time elapse in reading the series.

While there is little here that will be spoiled for you if you read the books out of order, there is a big reason to read them in order – the last chapter.  Fans of the series will get a huge smile out of it.  I might have even shed a tear or two.  You won’t appreciate it quite as much if you don’t know the characters well.

As I’ve read this series, I’ve enjoyed the fact that it is set in towns I recognize since it’s set in Southern California.  I enjoyed that once again here, but I got the biggest grin on my face when the characters popped into a local pizza place, Toppers, I recognized at one point.  That kind of thing is so much fun.

I am sorry to say goodbye to these characters, but I am glad I read the series.  Fans will be happy with where Knot Ready for Murder leaves everyone.

Snuggle up with the rest of the Quilting Mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.