Sunday, March 10, 2024

March 10th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Sunday night, I wound up going into urgent care.  While they didn't do any testing to see what specifically I had (cold or something like flu or COVID), they focused very much on my eye.  Yep, I had pink eye in one eye.  By the time I got up Monday morning, I had it in both eyes.  Fortunately, the eye drops they gave me have done a great job of knocking it out.

As to the rest, I'm still a little congested, but it's getting a little better every day.  My fever finally went away.  I'd completely lost my voice Wednesday and Thursday, but it seem to be back now.

And, yes, I kept working all week.  As much as I love working from home, this is a downside.  But it was quarter end, and there was just too much to do.  Fortunately, I think the worst of it is behind us, although I'm expecting some questions about the extra reporting this coming week.

Friday was my birthday.  Between work and getting over being sick, it was a very quiet day.  I talked to my family, and opened some cards and presents.  You'll hear more about the presents in a few minutes.  It's like the people giving me presents know me or something.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - TV Show Review: The Amazing Race - Season 35
Tuesday - Book Review: In Sunshine or in Shadow by Rhys Bowen and Clare Broyles
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Hermione, Hagrid, and Snape
Thursday - Book Review: Lone Wolf by Gregg Hurwitz
Friday - Friday Post featuring Stark Raving Mod
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

As I mentioned earlier, I got books for my birthday.  Plus, I got a preorder, a couple of books for review, and an audiobook from the library.  You know those low count weeks I've had recently?  Yeah, this week made up for them.

Let's start with the birthday books.

I don't remember how The Bloody Black Flag by Steve Goble crossed my radar, but it's a mystery involving pirates in the 1700's.  I think it will be very far from my normal cozy choices, but I very much can't wait to read it.  I think it would be a lot of fun.

Also on the historical front, I got A Royal Affair by Allison Montclair.  For this one, it's just after World War II in England, and the main characters have set up a match making service.  I read the first book last year, and I really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in this one.

Staying in Europe but moving to the present day, I also got Murder in Trastevere by Jen Collins Moore.  The action here is set in Italy.  It's the second in a series, and I enjoyed the first, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to the characters here.

Rounding out my birthday haul is The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper by Sally Carpenter.  The author is a So Cal resident, so it's been on my radar for a while.  The main character is a former teen idol trying to make a comeback, which sounds like fun.

Let's move on to review copies, shall we?

The first of those is The Witless Protection Program by Maria DiRico.  This is the fifth and, sadly, final in the Catering Hall Mysteries.  This book comes out in just a couple of weeks, so I'll be reading it very soon.

My second is an ARC for A Murder Most French, the second in the American in Paris Mysteries from Colleen Cambridge,  The main character is friends and neighbors with Julia Child in 1950 Paris.  I enjoyed the first when I read it a few months ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here.

I'm not quite sure why it took so long for Kingdom Keepers Inheritance: Villain's Realm to show up but it did.  It actually came out the end of February, but shipped a couple of days later and then showed up early this week.  Anyway, it is the newest from Ridley Pearson.  If you aren't familiar with the Kingdom Keepers, this is a middle grade series about teens who have to fight Disney villains and keep them from taking over the Disney theme parks.  As a DisNerd, I enjoy them, so I'm curious to see what happens here.

All of these are physical books, too.

Finally comes the one electronic book of the week (so I'll throw the cover on the image with what I'm currently reading).  It's about time for another audio book.  I snagged The Fly on the Wall by Tony Hillerman from the library.  This is a stand alone and not part of his famous Leaphorn and Chee series.  For that reason alone, I'm curious about it.  Plus, I'm happy to get back to his books.

With all of these books, I'd better get reading!

What I'm Currently Reading:


I'm about 40% of the way into Stark Raving Mod by Diane Vallere at the moment.  This is the thirteenth book in her Samantha Kidd series.  In it, Samantha won a mysterious trunk at auction, and she got it for a steal.  However, now people want to buy it from her for quite a bit of money, and someone has died.  I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I'm hoping to finish it up on Sunday.

Which means Monday, I'll be starting on Secrets of a Scottish Isle by Erica Ruth Neubauer.  This is the newest Jane Wunderly mystery.  I'm looking forward to getting lost in the story and seeing what Jane is up to in 1927.

That's it for me.  Hope you all have a great week.

20 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday and feel better soon! I've been hearing about a lot of people getting pink eye. Does not sound fun. Looking forward to hearing about your presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, and good luck getting back to totally healthy. I’m a big fan of the Hillermans and did like Fly on the Wall.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for your healing. That sounds miserable. I'm glad that you were able to get a little festive with your birthday, including a book haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pain that you were sick for your birthday, and that you felt like you had no choice but to work. It's something that I am familiar with but I am getting better of recognising that sometimes rest is imperative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are better now. Thank heavens for urgent care, otherwise we'd be running to the ER, which is very pricy. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof, hope you're feeling a lot better now. And belated happy birthday! Hope you enjoy the new books.

    My weekly roundup/Sunday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you're feeling better, Mark. Happy belated Birthday. Have a relaxing Sunday 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated Birthday! I am sorry you didn't feel well enough to celebrate. Pink eye is no fun and having it on top of congestion, fever, etc. What a rough week.

    And I agree. I really like working from home, but it does mean we tend not to take days off when we're sick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are 100% better soon. Happy birthday! Books are the best gifts :) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday. Hope you are feeling better. There has been A LOT of pink eye going around here. Hope your eyes and congestion are all better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it seems the worst is behind you. I hope you have a much better week this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Working with pink eye and other ick, that sucks! I hope you are feeling better this week. I work with little kids so anytime my eye looks a little red or is itchy, I think --oh no, did I get pink eye? Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are feeling better now. Happy birthday! You got a nice-looking assortment of books. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pink eye is awful. Glad you're feeling better, and hope you're back to your old self soon. Happy belated birthday. Your books look great. Hope you enjoy them.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0361113059.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very happy birthday - you have definitely had a week of two halves. Pink eye is so very miserable - and it's hard to read with sore eyes! Glad you got plenty of books as pressies and hope the coming week is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday! Hope you're feeling better, and that you have a great week! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard so many stories about people getting pink eye lately! Eye issues are so exhausting so I'm glad you're feeling better and so glad you had a happy birthday! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday and I sure hope you are feeling much better. I love the title of The Witless Protection Program. And Kingdom Keepers sounds fun. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.