Friday, March 15, 2024

March 15th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday!  This week, that means another Friday Post.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three will be coming from Stark Raving Mod by Diane Vallere.


This is book 13 in her Samantha Kidd series, which has a fashion theme.  Of course, they are mysteries.  I mean, this is me, after all.

I just love how this particular book opens:

There’s nothing quite as exciting as a padlocked trunk.

Isn't that a great opening?  It definitely made me want to read more.

At 56% into the book, we get this exchange.  Samantha is talking to Detective Loncar, the retired police homicide inspector who is now working as a PI.  She's sort of hired him/working with him at this point in the book.  She starts off this snippet by saying:

“I know you want me to leave, but we need to talk about last night. While you were polishing off a flight of whiskey, I was chasing a lead, fending off an attack, getting you out of there safely, and discovering a new clue.”
“I’m on the edge of my seat.”

That pretty much captures their relationship.

I enjoyed the book as always.  I'll be reviewing it next Thursday.

Meanwhile, here's this week's Book Blogger Hop:

On average, how long do you spend writing a review?

For a book review, I figure an hour on the writing of the review itself.  If I sit down and really truly focus, I can get it done in less than that.  But I get distracted, and that's about how long it takes me to draft the review when you factor in that.  Fortunately, my reread to edit only takes a few minutes, as does my scheduling of the review.

8 comments:

  1. I mean, if I saw a padlocked trunk I would also definitely get excited, and then maybe a little scared, and then I'd remember Northhanger Abbey by Jane Austen and tell myself to calm down xD This sounds like a delightful book, glad you enjoyed it! My review writing time can really change depending on the book, the genre, the mood, the weather, etc. I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun book. Have a fantastic day, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that opening, too. A padlocked trunk? Why is it locked?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great opening. Now I want to know what's in the trunk! And I'm out of breath reading that Friday56 excerpt. Whew! This does sound like a fun one. I have the first book of the series on my TBR.

    I think an hour is about reasonable for me too when it comes to review writing--unless I'm really struggling with what to say. Then it can stretch out over days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course we're curious about the padlocked trunk! Great opening line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Saturday!!!
    I'm currently reading One Wrong Move by Dani Pettrey. So far, it's pretty creepy. 😄
    "Andi slowed as she entered Jeopardy Falls and the speed limit on Juan Tabo dropped to thirty. She cruised along the two-lane road running through the center of town."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend. 🙂💕📚

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be quite interested in a padlocked trunk! I always enjoy this author's book and this is a series I've never read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.