Friday, March 22, 2024

Novella Review: Death by Eggnog by Lee Hollis (Hayley Powell #8.5)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good mystery and characters
Cons: Still a bit disorienting if this is your introduction to the series
The Bottom Line:
Christmas novella
Short but engaging story
Worth reading for fans




Death of the Town Librarian

Kensington’s novella anthologies are designed to let readers meet authors they’ve haven’t started reading yet.  For me, so far, those anthologies are the only introduction I’ve had to Hayley Powell and the rest of the characters from Lee Hollis.  In fact, Death by Eggnog was my first trip to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Everyone in town is looking forward to the annual Restaurant Association Christmas Dinner, however things take a deadly turn when the town librarian eats a too spicy wing, follows it up with some eggnog, and dies.  The librarian had made many enemies over the years, but this looks like a tragic accident.  Was it?

It’s always hard to jump into a story, especially one this short, when you don’t know the series regulars.  Fortunately, most of them were kept in the background, so I was able to get to know the characters important to this story, which I enjoyed.  The plot was good and kept me engaged as I was reading.  That’s pretty good for a story that’s only around 100 pages.

Those familiar with the series won’t be surprised to learn we also get some delicious sounding recipes scattered throughout.

As I said earlier, this was originally released in an anthology back in 2016.  If you’ve already read the Eggnog Murder collection, you don’t need to pick up this ebook.  But if you are a fan of the series and have missed it somehow, you’ll be glad you snagged it.

While I still haven’t actually read any of the full novels, I have enjoyed the anthologies enough to buy the first book.  That makes me glad I read Death by Eggnog.

1 comment:

  1. This is an author I need to read more from. I read one book by her and enjoyed it but haven't been back to the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.