Friday, March 8, 2024

March 8th's Friday Post

It's Friday and it's my birthday!  Party time!

And what better way to party than with a Friday post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three will be coming from In Sunshine or in Shadow by Rhys Bowen and Clare Broyles.


This is book twenty in the Molly Murphy series.  This book is set in 1908 and finds Molly venturing outside of New York City to, well...:

“Bolivia,” Sid said.
“Bolivia?” Even Gus sounded surprised. “You want us to go to Bolivia?”
Sid nodded. “It’s about time we went somewhere exotic. We’re becoming staid and boring.”

If you are at all familiar with the series, you know that Sid and Gus are Molly's two unconventional neighbors, and the idea of them jaunting off to somewhere exotic isn't completely crazy.  But in this case, they settle on the Catskills instead of Bolivia.  And Molly joins them.  Naturally, a mystery follows.

At 56% into the book, we find Molly talking to another character:

“Don’t feel ashamed because you’re more refined and polite than an Irish peasant girl. I was never good at doing what I was told.”

We know, Molly.  And it's why we love you.

This is another great book in the series.  I'll be back on Tuesday, release day, with a full review.

Switching over to this week's Book Blogger Hop, here's this week's question:

Do you use a book's synopsis for your review?

I do not.  I don't often find the official synopsis to be that helpful.  Either it misses some key set up or it spoils too much.  Plus, there's the part of me still back in elementary school screaming that it is cheating to use that because the teacher would never let us get away with that in a book report.  (I know it isn't, but it still feels that way to me.)

So I craft my own.  I wish I could just quote the synopsis, but after all these years, my mind won't let me.

Hope you have a great weekend.  I'm hoping I'm well enough that I can get out and have some fun.  (Yes, I'm better, but I'm still not completely well.)

11 comments:

  1. Many happy returns! Whatever is going around here is long lasting, so I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of Bolivia as being exotic but it would sure be different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this author. I really need to read this series. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a good one. My daughter's is tomorrow. In Sunshine or in Shadow. I like the old feel of the cover. I had to look up the publication date because it really does seem like it would have been older.

    I know what you mean about preferring to craft your own synopsis. While I do sometimes use the one from Goodreads, my preference is to write my own to go with my reviews.

    I hope you have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Glad you're getting better. I hope you're having a great day and you enjoy the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I'm the same about writing my own summary. In my post, I didn't own the part about a teacher's voice in my head saying that it's cheating -- but that's definitely a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a great birthday! I have really enjoyed some Rhys Bowen books, but haven't tackled her Molly series yet. Maybe someday. I do my own plot synopsis and include the book blurb in my reviews, so my tricky bit is not saying the same thing that the blurb does! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! This series sounds like so much fun. I'm glad to hear it's still good 20 books into it. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a series I really need to start. I love her Royal Spyness series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.