Friday, September 11, 2015

Book Review: "B" is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone #2)



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great characters in a twisting story
Cons: I’m just now reading this book
The Bottom Line:
A vanished woman
Gives us riveting story
Pages will turn fast




Cross Country Search for a Missing Woman

I’m trying to work through a rotation in my audio book reading, switching between four long running series (with the occasional other book added for good measure).  Right now, however, I’m really regretting that.  Why?  I just finished "B" is for Burglar and I’m already anxious to dive into Kinsey’s next case.

One June morning, PI Kinsey Millhone arrives at her office to find a woman waiting to hire her.  Beverly Danziger is looking for her sister, Elaine Boldt.  The sisters aren’t especially close, and Elaine splits her time between Kinsey’s town of Santa Teresa, California, and Boca Raton, Florida.  Elaine needs to sign a legal document to settle an inheritance, and no one has heard from her in months.

Kinsey starts her search in the usual places, even traveling to Florida where she meets with Elaine’s neighbors.  However, she can’t find any trace of the woman.  What has happened to Elaine?  Will Kinsey ever piece it together?

There is a reason that Sue Grafton has gained such a following over the years (book 24 in the series just came out, so I have some serious catching up to do).  She is a wonderful author.  As I was listening to this book, I was struck by how wonderful she was at creating characters based on just a few mannerisms and Kinsey’s first person observations.  I could easily picture everyone as the book progressed.  And as secrets came out, they all fit the characters as they were developing.

The plot was wonderful as well.  The clues were so well hidden by red herrings I couldn’t figure much out.  I had an inkling where the plot might be going, but I wasn’t sure how everything would come together until the end.  The twists kept me so confused I wasn’t very close to being on the right track.  And yes, the title does make sense as you get into the story.  The pace was steady with things picking up as we neared the nail biting climax.  Of course, all the clues came into play as Kinsey figured things out.

I listened to the audio version from Books on Tape and narrated by Mary Peiffer.  She was wonderful at bringing the characters and story to life.  I’m glad that readers tend to stick with series, and I look forward to reading future books in the series with her.

I’ve actually got my next audio book on hold at the library and it’s not in this series, so I will have to wait to find out what happens next to Kinsey.  But if, like me, you’ve missed this popular series, pick up "B" is for Burglar and find just why so many love her books.

Here are the rest of the Kinsey Millhone mysteries in order.

This review is part of this week's Friday's Forgotten Books.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I started the series after the first few had been published, and read them in order through "H", though not one after the other. Then I stalled, and still, after years, haven't gotten back to it. I should give "I" a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to one years ago and enjoyed it. How I wish I'd kept going with it since now I have so many to catch up on.

      Delete
  2. I only got thru B. At the time, I think she was on K or so and I just thought it was so daunting. Guess who's laughing now...not me! I have a couple friends who have kept up with the series and like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to read them (or listen to them) and catch up. Okay, so I will probably get to Z long after it is published, but still, I aim to get there someday.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.