Friday, September 25, 2015

Ornament Review: Disney Fantasia 75th Anniversary - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun scene made more enjoyable by music and sound
Cons: Cord used to start the magic; noticeable tip forward when hung
The Bottom Line:
Anniversary
Brings us this delightful scene
For good ornament




Ballet of an Ornament for Fantasia’s 75th

Time for another confessions of a DisNerd.  I’m not the biggest fan of Fantasia – either one actually.  The segments lose their appeal to me after a while, and I find the movies too long.  Then again, I don’t think I’ve sat and listened to a piece of classical music since my college music appreciate class, so obviously, the subject matter doesn’t interest me.  Having said that, there are a couple of segments I really enjoy.  And one of them is the subject of the ornament Hallmark did to celebrate Fantasia's 75th Anniversary.  When I saw it, I knew I had to have it.

This ornament features a scene from the “Dance of the Hours” section of the movie, or as I know it, the hilarious animal ballet.  The most famous pairing of the piece is the hippos and alligators.  And that’s exactly what we’ve got here.  The ornament has a large brown oval base with Walt Disney’s Fantasia 75 years on a plaque on the front.  On top of the base we get a hippo in her tutu and ballet slippers with her arms outstretched and the alligator who is holding one arm up in the air for her to twirl under.

When you have a moment so connected to music, you have to include that music, right?  Hallmark certainly thought so since this is a magic ornament.  When you insert the two button batteries and pull the cord that dangles down from the ornament, you see the hippo twirl around while hearing some of the music from that segment.  The whole thing lasts almost 30 seconds.

And yes, I’ve got to ding the ornament for that cord.  I love the movement and the sound, but I really wish they didn’t make you pull a cord to get it started.  If you don’t pull it down far enough, it won’t work right.  However, if you pull it down too hard, it will break.  A button would have been so much better.  I do have to give them credit for having two musical notes as the thing you pull at the bottom of that string, however.

But honestly, that string is my only complaint with the ornament.  I love this part of the movie, and it makes me smile to see this ornament.  The motion and sound just add to the fun.

Because of the cord, the ornament doesn’t really sit flat if you go to display it without hanging it.  You can do it, and then pick it up to play the music, but it’s just going to be a little tipped.

There is an arm coming out of the back of the base specifically to use to hang the ornament.  When you do, you’ll find that it tips forward a noticeable amount.  That’s rather disappointing for an ornament this expensive.

And yes, price is certainly a factor.  Because of the size and the magic element, this one is selling in Hallmark stores for $29.95.

Despite the cord issues, I knew I had to get the Fantasia's 75th ornament as soon as I heard about it, and I really do like it.  The piece is so fun, you’ll be enjoying it for years to come.

(Expecting Sorcerer Mickey for Fantasia’s 75th?  That was the subject of the Mickey’s Movie Mousterpieces ornament this years.)

Original Price: $29.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.