Monday, July 6, 2020

Ornament Review: Patriotic Sweets - Season's Treatings Special Edition - 2020 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Delicious and patriotic
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Red, white, and blue sweets
Creates a great ornament
For summer display

Sweets for America

As we all know, production and shipping has been highly disrupted this year.  Of all the things I haven’t been able to buy when I originally expected to, Hallmark’s Patriotic Sweets was the one I was least concerned about.  I mean, I was disappointed not to have it earlier this year, but I get why it is this way, and it isn’t something I truly needed.  Still, when I got the call that my local Hallmark store had it in stock on July 3rd, I rushed over and got it.

This is the fourth and final special edition ornament Hallmark is releasing this year for the Season’s Treatings series.  This ornament features pie and ice cream, two of my favorites.  The pie is…well, I don’t know what kind of pie it is.  The majority of the pie has stripes of pie crust alternated with stripes of what appear to be cherry pie.  In the upper left-hand corner, however, is a field of blue with white stars.  The result is a tasty, American flag looking pie. The ice cream is strawberry, and it looks homemade.  There are two cones with scoops on them.  The scooper is in the large bucket of ice cream in the upper left-hand corner of the ornament.  However, the ice cream itself is inside a smaller bucket surrounded by ice.  All of this is sitting on a red checkered cloth.

What I am about to say doesn’t impact my view of the ornament itself.  However, when I think of American desserts, I must admit, I usually think of apple pie covered with vanilla ice cream.  If I were to create an ornament, I probably would have gone that route.

Which just proves why I am not creating these ornaments myself.  I love this result so much more.  The strawberry ice cream follows the red, white and blue theme.  While I doubt you could really make a pie like this one, it looks perfectly patriotic.  This ornament is wonderful and is quite possibly my favorite of the special editions.

Yes, this ornament has a flat base.  Like most of the special editions, it has enough dominion that you could set it out.  However, I still prefer hanging mine.  Yes, it tips some, but considering all the Season’s Treatings ornaments tip, I’m going to consider it a design feature and not a design flaw.

While I am disappointed that I couldn’t display Patriotic Sweets during the Memorial Day/Flag Day/4th of July period this year, I am glad to finally have it.  I’ve got it up now, and I’ll look forward to displaying it next year and for many years to come.

If you'd like to see this ornament, check out my picture on Instagram.

Enjoy more sweet ornaments with the rest of the Season’s Treatings ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.