Friday, October 7, 2022

October 7th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday and this week's Friday Post where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

The teasers for the first three will be coming from Tall Tales, the second in the Once Upon Another Time trilogy from James Riley.

Yes, this is something different from me.  It's not a mystery.  Instead, this is a middle grade fantasy novel.  Or, more specifically, a fractures fairy tale story.  I've been reading James Riley since his first book, Half Upon a Time, came out, and it's fun to be back in this universe.

Here's how this book begins:

Once upon a time, Lena the Giant would never have imagined having an audience of her own kind as she fought her way through a patrol of Faceless, the Gold King's mind-controlled army.

I feel like this first line gives us the right amount of background while also jumping us right into the story.  After all, Lena is in a fight.

What's interesting is, this book has two viewpoint characters in alternating chapters, but on page 56, we are still with Lena, where we find this:

"Oh, giant girl, you're the most fascinating creature I've met in years," the fairy said, her eyes lighting up.  "You've got to tell me your wish now."
Lena looked away.  "It's not going to happen, so it doesn't matter."

What is Lena's wish?  Why wouldn't it happen?  Or will it?  You'll have to read the book to find out.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I'm still reading the book myself.  I'm hoping to have it finished up on Friday, when this post goes up.  I'm planning to review it on Sunday the 16th.  Sorry to be a longer tease before my review than normal, but this was the book I really wanted to share something from.  I hope you'll come back then and see what I thought.

Meanwhile, let's just over to the Book Blogger Hop for the week:

Are you lost if you don't have a book to read?

What's this not having a book to read you speak of?  Seriously, when I was on vacation last month, I was hoping to finish the book I was reading on the plane with enough time to draft a review but not so much time that I would want to start another book before we landed.  The reason?  I had a book at home I'd decided I wanted to read next.  (I didn't take any physical books on the trip, and it was a physical book.)  And the feeling of trying to entertain myself without a book was a little scary.  So yes, I am lost if I don't have a book to read.

Have a wonderful weekend!

19 comments:

  1. I'm with you! If I don't have a pile of things to read, what would I do with myself? Love that you plan time for writing the review as well-- it's a considerable committment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting sounding book. Haha it's annoying when book things like that happen.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/07/book-blogger-hop-are-you-lost-if-you-dont-have-a-book-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved having this book back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both those lines have me wanting to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I love fractured fairy tales. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love fractured fairy tales in a PB, but haven't read any in MG novels. Sounds entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun book. I always have to have a book available too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son enjoys James Riley. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first line comes from Within These Gilded Halls by Abigail Wilson.
    Southern England, 1819
    Hunting the treasure without me?
    A fascinating book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually travel with at least two books, often three, even if I am going for a short trip. What if I finish the book and have nothing to turn to?

    My quotes are from REMARKABLY BRIGHT CREATURES

    ReplyDelete
  12. In certain situations, I also feel lost without a book. One of those situations would be on a plane or staying in a hotel by myself. Otherwise, I can usually entertain myself with other things like crocheting, knitting, blogging, building LEGO, or watching movies/TV. Not only am I an eclectic reader, I'm also an eclectic hobbyist. LOL. :D Thanks for stopping by my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! I would feel lost without a book, but usually have more than I can read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm currently reading Authentically, Izzy by Pepper Basham. It's super cute!
    "In my psychology class we learned that the best way to deal with sensitive artistic personalities like Eli's is to ask questions to help them come to their own conclusions. Directness may lead to internal wounds. Or was that about counseling teenagers? Oh well, I'm sure it works for both."
    Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have been the same way, trying to find something to do without a book. Even on vacation I always have a book with me. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd definitely be lost without a book to read! I'm currently re-reading To Treasure an Heiress by Roseanna M White. The first line is: "Prince ... or pirate?" Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had a couple of times when I didn't expect something to take very long so I didn't bring a book and it was a little terrifying. This sounds like a fun trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eleanor got book one for her birthday and is excited to read it. It is new to us too, as we do not usually read this genre.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.