Sunday, October 30, 2022

Disney Pin Review: Palm Parlor - Windows of Main Street


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great pin for a Disney Legend
Cons: Glass could be easier to read
The Bottom Line:
A spooky window
With supernatural hints
A good addition


I’m Sensing a Good Pin in Your Future

As I’ve said in the past, I’ve been reviewing the pins in the Windows of Main Street series in pretty much random order.  I purposely saved this pin for October, however, given the theme.  After all, October is the perfect month to review the Palm Parlor entry in the series.

This is the one I knew exactly where was without having to look it up on the internet.  Fargo’s Palm Parlor is located near the Silhouette studio.  I’ve spent enough time around that area of Main Street to have seen the window up there.

What I did have to look up is who it is honoring.  Roland Fargo “Rolly” Crump started out as an inbetweener in the animation department in the 1950’s before Walt Disney moved him to Imagineering.  There, he was involved in many classic attractions for Disneyland, including it’s a small world, The Enchanted Tiki Room, and the Haunted Mansion.  No surprise on that last one, given the theme of the window, right?

Once again, the front of the pin does a perfect job of capturing the window from the park.  On the front, it says “Fargo’s Palm Parlor.  Predictions that will haunt you; Bazaar, whimsical & Weird. Designs to die for. Roland F. Crump assistant to the Palm Reader.”  There’s a palm in the middle of the window, and three cards.  They aren’t traditional tarot cards but instead changed to reference the three attractions I mentioned he worked on.

When you open the pin, you see Madam Leota inside her crystal ball.  The ball glows in the dark.  It needs some light to charge it, but then it will glow for a little while.  It’s a nice touch.  This pin is actually hinged and held together by a rather strong magnet. 

Sadly, this pin does have the issue I’ve talked about with some of the other pins in the series – the window isn’t opaque enough to be legible.  It helps when you have the window open, and at least here you have the option of reading what is on the glass.  I do wish they had fixed this flaw in so many of the pins in the series.

Earlier, I mentioned saving this pin for October.  Disney didn’t do that, instead releasing it in February last year.  I guess they were afraid of supply chain issues possibly making this one come out later if they had saved it for October, but it still surprises me a bit.

Overall, it is a fun addition.  The series has been a great excuse to learn a bit more about the Disney company history, which I’ve also enjoyed.  DisNerds like me will be glad they got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.