Rescuing Horses is Murder
While the titles in Donna Andrews’s Meg Langslow series always feature a bird pun, the animals that are featured can vary some. That’s the case with Probably Caws, book thirty-nine in the series. Yes, a murder of crows does play a part, but the main plot involves rescuing horses.
Meg becomes aware of the situation when she gets a phone call from her dad. A horse rescue organization in a neighboring county has to move their horses, and Meg’s neighbor and friend Ragnar has agreed to take the horses in. But they need people to help settle the horses, so she goes over to help. As the day progresses, Meg begins to learn about the fight between the owner of the farm the horses came from and his brother, who has just inherited half of the farm. That night, Meg finds a dead body in one of the barns. Can she figure out who the killer is?
This series, and cozies in general, need to balance the hook of the series and the murder, and I get that it is a delicate balancing act. This one erred on the side of the information on animals and how these horses were doing, meaning the pacing was a little slow for my taste.
I’m not saying we don’t have a good mystery. There were some good twists that kept me guessing as I read, and I was surprised by the ending. The climax was fun, and I appreciated how everything was wrapped up.
At this point, the characters are old friends, and this book was another great visit with them. Not everyone was present, but we still got updates on those who weren’t in town. And the cast we did get to spend time with were their usual charming selves. The suspects were interesting as well.
This series is known for its humor. The laughs weren’t as plentiful here, but there were some along the way. And there were plenty of grins.
While this may not be the strongest entry in the Meg Langslow series, Probable Caws will still entertain fans.
Enjoy the rest of the Meg Langslow series.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.