Wednesday, September 9, 2026

TV Show Review: Happy's Place - Season 2

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Lots of laughs with some great characters
Cons: One ongoing storyline I wasn’t a fan of
The Bottom Line:
Return to the bar
Filled with much laughter and heart
Strong second season




“You’ve Created a Monster.” “My Work Here is Done.”

The first season of Happy’s Place quickly became my favorite sitcom currently on the air, so I was anxious to see how things developed in season two.  Fortunately, the laughs and character relationships that I loved in the first season continued to make me laugh.

Happy’s Place is the name of a bar in Knoxville, Tennessee.  It is now run by Happy’s daughters, Bobbie (Reba McEntire) and Isabella (Belissa Escobedo).  Of course, Bobbie didn’t know about Isabella until after Happy passed.  Despite the rocky start that surprise gave Bobbie, the two new half-sisters have started learning how to get along and run the business well.  Rounding out the staff at the bar (and the cast), we have bartender Gabby (Melissa Peterman), cook Emmett (Rex Linn), server Takoda (Tokala Black Elk), and the bar’s accountant Steve (Pablo Castelblanco).

This season starts off focuses on Bobbie’s relationship with Emmett.  With a nudge from Isabella, they finally start dating.  Unfortunately, Emmett has a secret that might destroy their budding romance if Bobbie finds out.  Elsewhere this season, Isabella gets an idea to open an alcohol-free speakeasy upstairs from the main bar.  Gabby’s mother (played by Jane Lynch) comes for a visit.  Takoda’s band gets booked at the bar.  And Steve discovers that AI might be better at his job than he is.

The one ongoing storyline I didn’t care for involved Gabby’s continued interest in becoming a single mother through insemination.  Yes, I’m old fashioned enough to think that kids should be raised by two parents in a married relationship.  Having said that, I did still find the episodes focusing on this to have laughs and great character moment.

And that’s why I love this show.  These six characters, and actors, play off each other perfectly.  They are building on the chemistry we saw in the first season.  The laughs flow freely, and the more serious moments hit exactly as they should.  And yes, that means the acting is great.

This is even more impressive when you pay attention and realize that there are several episodes this season without any guest stars.  It’s only these six characters making us laugh as the story unfolds.  But if you aren’t watching for it, you won’t notice.

Having said that, a pretty important guest star did pop up this season.  JoAnna Garcia Swisher appears in an episode.  And yes, there are some jokes with a wink to her earlier role as Reba’s daughter on Reba.

For years, I’ve been saying I was going to go to a sitcom taping, and I finally managed to do it last October.  I went to a taping of an episode of this show.  Specifically, I went to see episode 11, “Dart to the Heart.”  It was a lot of fun, and that episode will probably always be a favorite.  I’m not alone since it seems to have gotten a good rating at IMDB.

Overall, there were eighteen episodes in season two.  Almost as many as a traditional order of a sitcom.  And it worked for this show.  It allowed time for several storylines to unfold and some fun random stand-alone episodes as well.

If you are looking to laugh at a traditional sitcom, Happy’s Place is the show for you.  And if you are already a fan, you’ll find season two continues the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.