Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Book Review: Home Sweet Homicide by Rosalie Spielman (Hometown Mysteries #5)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Compelling mystery with great characters
Cons: Part of Tessa’s character arc didn’t quite work for me.
The Bottom Line:
Wedding meets murder
Plus other complications
In this fun entry




Wedding Complicated by a Dead Ex

Last year, I really delved into Rosalie Spielman’s Hometown Mysteries, enjoying the first four.  Somehow, this year, I’ve let the series get away from me, and I suddenly found myself getting behind again.  So, I picked up Home Sweet Homicide, book five.  I was so glad to be visiting the characters again.

If you haven’t started the series, it features retired Army Lieutenant Colonel Tessa Treslow who has returned to her hometown of New Oslo, Idaho, after getting out of the army.  It means she is able to reconnect with family, but it has also meant seeing more of her ex-boyfriend and some others from her growing up years that she wasn’t so anxious to see again.  And that’s not even to talk about the murders that have happened since she returned home.

Speaking of that ex-boyfriend, Joe Eriksson is getting married to Jessie St. John.  Much to her surprise, Tessa and Jessie have become friends since Tessa returned home, and somehow, she finds herself agreeing to be a bridesmaid.  Everything is looking good two weeks out from the wedding until Jessie’s best friend from high school shows up and starts trying to change all the wedding plans.

But that’s nothing compared to the chaos that happens when Jessie’s first ex-husband is killed, and Jessie just happens to be first at the scene.  Joe, the sheriff, is sidelined in the investigation since he could be another suspect.  While Tessa is warned away by the state detective that comes in to investigate, can she help it if she keeps finding pertinent information?  Will she learn enough to solve the case before the wedding gets canceled?

As I said earlier, it was wonderful to be visiting the characters again.  New Oslo is filled with an assortment of friends and family, and they are an entertaining bunch.  Of course, Tessa is a fantastic main character, and I enjoyed seeing what is going on in her life.  I did have an issue with some of her personal growth here, but maybe I’m just being a guy, and a single guy at that, when it comes to first love.

The mystery was great with plenty going on to keep us guessing.  Yet things made sense when we reached the end.  And there is enough other drama with the wedding and another subplot that my interest never lagged.

I need to make returning to this series a priority.  Fans old and new will enjoy Home Sweet Homicide.

Plan more visits home with the rest of the Hometown Mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.