Monday, April 15, 2013

Music Review: CCM's Top 100 Greatest Songs Volume 1


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Many great Christian songs
Cons: Other three volumes never released
The Bottom Line:
Classic Christian songs
But need the rest of the set
To complete picture




One Quarter of a Timeless Collection

To celebrate it's 25th anniversary, magazine CCM compiled a list of the top 100 Christian songs of all time. Once the list was compiled a book was released that listed all the songs in order. (And how I wish I had bought that book.) A series of CD releases was planned as well to release those 100 songs together. Unfortunately, those CD releases never got beyond volume 1. (It's pretty safe to say that since this set was released in 2004, right?) Fortunately, I did buy this two disc set because I have seriously enjoyed it.

Now, frankly, it is hard to judge the list based on this set alone. Instead of releasing the top 25 or the bottom 25, they mixed and matched to give us a variety of styles and decades. At that they have succeeded. However, it makes it hard to judge these songs completely since we don't know where they landed on the list.

Not that most of them are any surprise. Just looking at the songs here will please most fans of contemporary Christian music. Disc one starts off with the modern praise classic "Awesome God" by Rich Mullins. Jumping ahead to 2000, we've got "God of Wonders" as recorded on the original City on a Hill CD. Twila Paris shows up with "The Warrior is a Child." 4Him's first big hit, "Where There is Faith" is present. What list would have been complete without Steven Curtis Chapman's "The Great Adventure?" While I am not a fan of their music, I'm not surprised to see Bebe and Cece Winans appear here with "Heaven." "In the Light" is present, but it is the original Charlie Peacock version, not the cover by dc Talk that actually became more popular. Instead, dc Talk gets to sing "What if I Stumble," which is my favorite of their songs by far. Interestingly enough, Margaret Becker's song "Say the Name" isn't the original version of the acoustic versions she released a decade later. I love this version with its simple guitar more, so I don't mind in the least. And the list goes on and on.

Style wise, most of these songs are fairly familiar adult contemporary music. We've got the guitar, piano, and drums. While the songs range from 1977 with Dallas Holm's "Rise Again" to 2000's "God of Wonders," there is as much of a style gap as you might expect. Sure, you can tell songs from the 70's or 80's because of their heavier use of folk sounds or electronic instruments. But it's not as jarring as it might have been.

Occasionally, the disc does get a little harder. Third Day is present with their classic "Consuming Fire." This is the hardest rock song on the set with the loud drums and heavy guitar. The two selections from 80's rock bands Whiteheart and Petra are tame in comparison. Not that the songs are bad. Whiteheart is represented by "We Are His Hands," a great reminder that God is supposed to be using us to do His work in our world. This song is from 1984, and it is one of the songs that does show off its roots. The heavy synthesizer gives away the decade quite easily. Petra's "More Power to Ya" also features synthesizer, but it isn't as heavy.

So, while I mentioned I can't comment on what was left off (since I don't have the entire list), I can and will comment on what was included. Amy Grant's song here is "Lead Me On." This is definitely a case where I'd love to know what the entire list was, because I can easily name 10 Amy Grant songs more deserving then this track. Don't get me wrong, I like the song. But she has done much better.

More mystifying still is "Stand" by Susan Ashton. With all the great Susan Ashton songs, why did this one even make the cut? It wasn't a huge hit on Christian radio. The lyrics on standing up for God aren't that catchy, either. It sounds nice. But again, I can name so many better Susan Ashton songs that should have been on the list instead of this one.

The first 23 tracks on this two disc set are the original artists doing the song. The final two tracks are "Tribute Recordings." Up and coming Christian artists were asked to pick a song from the list to cover. At the time this list was released, Across the Sky had just released their debut and had plenty of buzz. Unfortunately, they never recorded another CD. But here, they covered "When God Ran." I knew they would be a good fit for this Benny Hester classic, and I was right. Their smooth plenty of pop and rock ups the tempo but makes the picture of God running to us when we repent to accept us again all the more moving. (I miss these guys.)

The other cover here is "Oh Lord, You're Beautiful" by Warren Barfield. I never have gotten around to checking out his music, but I like this version of the Keith Green classic. He takes the familiar praise chorus and turns it into a soft rock song. Granted, it took me a couple listens to fully appreciate it, but now I really like it.

I never have figured out why the rest of these CD sets were never released. They'd been given release dates, but nothing ever came of it. That's too bad, because having all 100 of the classics CCM named in one definitive collection would have made this music fan thrilled. And yes, I would have bought the sets even though I already own most of the songs. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to keep enjoying volume 1.

Disc One: Length: 52:27
Tracks: 1. Awesome God - Rich Mullins 2. Testify to Love - Avalon 3. People Get Ready...Jesus is Comin' - Crystal Lewis 4. Praise the Lord - Imperials 5. Consuming Fire - Third Day 6. Lead Me On - Amy Grant 7. Where There is Faith - 4Him 8. The Warrior is a Child - Twila Paris 9. In the Light - Charlie Peacock 10. We are His Hands - Whiteheart 11. The Great Adventure - Steven Curtis Chapman 12. More Power to Ya - Petra

Disc Two: Length: 58:13
Tracks: 1. God of Wonders - City on a Hill 2. Love in Any Language - Sandi Patty 3. Place in This World - Michael W. Smith 4. Stand - Susan Ashton 5. Rise Again - Dallas Holm 6. Undo Me - Jennifer Knapp 7. What if I Stumble - dc Talk 8. Say the Name - Margaret Becker 9. Heaven - Bebe & Cece Winans 10. Strength of My Life - Leslie Phillips 11. The Great Divide - Point of Grace 12. When God Ran - Across the Sky 13. Oh Lord, You're Beautiful - Warren Barefield

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.