Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Music Review: Don't Get Comfortable by Brandon Heath


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Encouraging and challenging words with fun music
Cons: Could use a little more variety; "Let's Make it Last"
The Bottom Line:
Had to grow on me
But glad I gave it the time
'Cause a good debut




It Took Some Time for Me to Get Comfortable

Brandon Heath won the Dove Award (Christian version of the Grammys) earlier this year for best new artist. Curious, I listened to a few snippets on line. Then I went out and bought Don't Get Comfortable. After a few listens, I set it aside, less than impressed. But I decided to give it another chance. Now I'm wondering what exactly my problem was with it before.

Brandon falls into the singer/songwriter pop/soft rock genre that seems to be so popular right now in Christian music. Not that I'm complaining because I personally love it. While a few of the songs are full out produced, the majority of the disc leans toward the acoustic end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, many of the tracks have a similar rhythm to them, making them blend together. That was one of my initial problems with the disc. But as I've started listening to the lyrics, the songs are standing out a bit more.

The disc opens with "Steady Now." It's a great song to start off with because it has a hooky beat that captures your ear right away. And it has a great mix of guitar, keyboard, and drums. Lyrically, it's an attempt at reconciliation. We don't find out what went wrong. In fact, I can't quite tell if the people involved are friends or just people who have been defined as different by society. Either way, I like the message.

"Simple Man" picks the tempo up slightly. It's a familiar theme as Brandon gives God the credit for all he has accomplished with his life. But again, the music makes the song fun to listen to.

The trick track comes next, and it opens with driving guitar. In fact, this is the first time the guitar has really taken center stage. This is the first of several songs written from God's point of view. It's a call to go out and live life to the fullest, risking failure knowing that God will always be there for us.

"Our God Reigns" was a big hit on the radio, and it's no surprise. It's a praise anthem pure and simple. With the inclusion of strings and piano, the song sours. It's just the kind of cut radio loves. And I must admit, I like it, too.

"Red Sky" slows things down greatly. It starts out with simple piano but does build as the song progresses and includes a pretty string section. It's a call to remember that there is more to life than what we see around us. Not only should we not be grabbing all we can now, but we shouldn't live in fear. It's written in a minor key, and has a very haunting melody.

"I'm Not Who I Was" has a funky beat that makes it stand out from the rest. This song feels the most acoustic of the entire disc. It's a song aimed at someone from the past who left a trail of hurt behind. It's a song of forgiveness and thankfulness for lessons learned. I wish I were always that mature.

"I Will Lay You Down" and "The Light" are two songs of encouragement. While the first is upbeat, the second is one of the slower tracks. Both are written from God's point of view as He promises to take our burdens and help us through our trials.

The only song on here that hasn't grown on me is "Let's Make it Last." Okay, so part of it may be the fact that it is a love song. But it's very slow. So slow it becomes boring. And it really bothers me that the lovers consider calling in sick to work in the second verse. Granted, I've been tempted a time or two before myself. But having it in a song just seems wrong to me.

That aside, Don't Get Comfortable is a good debut. I'm looking forward to more music from Brandon Heath in the years to come.

CD Length: 41:11
Tracks:
1. Steady Now
2. Simple Man
3. Don't Get Comfortable
4. Our God Reigns
5. Red Sky
6. You Decide
7. I'm Not Who I Was
8. Let's Make it Last
9. I Will Lay You Down
10. The Light
11. Beauty Divine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.