Saturday, April 13, 2013

Music Review: Rich Mullins by Rich Mullins

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: "A Few Good Men," "Elijah"
Cons: A bit dated; "Save Me"
The Bottom Line:
Dated production
But the lyrics hold up well
Started great career




Rich Mullins - The Debut of a Good Man

I've had an interesting relationship with Rich Mullins' music. While he was alive, I really didn't appreciate his music. After his untimely death in a car accident, I began to enjoy it more, but still didn't see the appeal of all of it. Take this self titled debut as an example. I listened to it once or twice and stuck it away. Recently, I decided to give it another chance, and I've found I truly do enjoy it.

I think one thing that turned me off originally was the production. As much as I can tolerate 80's pop music, it usually has to be something I listened to in the 80's or early 90's. When I got this CD at the turn of the century, I wasn't in the mood for the 80's production. And make no mistake, this is an 80's CD. Released in 1987, it's got lots of electric drum loops, high powered electric guitar and synthesizer. Ironically, it's not as bad as other CD's I still enjoy. But I do think it was one turn off early on.

Another turn off is the final song. And since "Save Me" left a bad taste in my mouth, I wrote off the entire CD. I'm still not a fan of the song. I like the idea behind it. In it, Rich "sings" of things he wants to stay away from. It's a great idea. But it doesn't work on two levels. First, Rich speaks or wails the lyrics. It's hard to really call what he does singing. Then there's the fact that the lyrics make a great modern poem. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of modern poetry, but it certainly doesn't work as a song. Or at least it doesn't work in this case. The music is keyboard and guitar, but they aren't that interesting to listen to.

I really don't like that song, can you tell?

Other then that, the rest of the CD is very good. I absolutely love the first song. "A Few Good Men" describes the type of person that Rich thinks the world needs - someone willing to stand up for his or her convictions. And that 80's pop sound? Here in complete abundance. But it's lots of fun. It's got a great hook that will pull you into the rest of the CD.

The idea of convictions is something that plays out in several other songs on here. "Live Right" is a challenge to live with eternity's convictions in mind. "Live like you'll die tomorrow, die knowing you'll live forever." This one is very heavy on the drum machine and electric guitar. It almost crosses over to rock material. But again, the song is fun. And listen for Amy Grant to make an appearance on the bridge.

"These Days" has an even further flashback feel to it for me. It sounds like a 70's ballad to me, and I can't quite place my finger on why. It's a slower song lead by piano with just the tiniest hint of drums in the background. In it, Rich sings about the problems he sees in the world around him. The scary thing is we still have these problems 20 plus years later. His solution is for Christians to start showing God's love in the world around them. And it's a prescription that would still help our world today.

While this release doesn't have as many classics as his later projects would, this did produce one, "Elijah." I must admit I am more familiar with the poppier rerecording he did for his best of collection about a decade later. This version is quite different but equally good. It starts out with quite a long piano intro. In fact, it's only after the first verse that the drums come in. As the song builds, they even throw in strings. In the song, Rich sings of his desire to get to Heaven. His incredible faith and truly longing shine through. It's a beautiful song on every level.

Another fun track is "New Heart." We're back to 80's pop here as Rich sings from God's point of view. It's a reminder of God's promises to renew our heart.

Rich was a realist. That comes through loud and clear with "Both Feet on the Ground." It's a love song and a response to the couples who think he was lonely because he was single. While he sings that God was enough for him, he also says he's not head over heels. In fact, he maintains that "To love is to love with both feet on the ground." It's another slow ballad, but this time there's lots of guitar picking and drums in the background.

I've let this CD collect dust for too many years. Now that I've dusted it off, you can bet I will be listening to it lots more in the years to come. So if you are a marginal Rich Mullins fan like I am, don't make the same mistake I did. Buy this CD today.

CD Length: 39:18
Tracks:
1. A Few Good Men
2. A Place to Stand
3. Live Right
4. New Heart
5. Elijah
6. Nothing but a Miracle
7. Both Feet on the Ground
8. These Days
9. Prisoner
10. Save Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.