Monday, April 8, 2013

Music Review: Smell the Color 9 by Chris Rice

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Still plenty of fun folk/pop with thoughtful lyrics
Cons: A couple sub-par songs
The Bottom Line:
Early weak effort
But disc still worth tracking down
Cause still has great songs




It Took Me a Little While to Appreciate the Aroma

When Chris Rice debuted with his folk pop, I was one of his many immediate fans. His mellow sound and thoughtful words were a breath of fresh air for this Christian music fan. His second release was just as big a hit.

Then came Smell the Color 9. There were a few songs I loved from the first moment, but the CD didn't hold together well as a whole. Or at least that was my thought then. There were songs that kept pulling me back to this CD. And the more I listened to it, the more I began to appreciate it. I think the problem I had with the song was a slight change in style. He threw in some rock, and that isn't what I was expecting from Chris. Okay, so adapting to change has never been a strong suit. But the changes from very soft rock to folk make for an uneven effort. Still, given enough time, I was able to truly appreciate this release.

The CD opens with the fun, off beat "Questions for Heaven." And it comes compete with carnival sounds that tie in with the packaging for the disc. This is classic Chris Rice stuff as he spends a day pondering just what he'd love to ask God as soon as he gets to Heaven. All I have to say is, I hope Heaven has a FAQ because I'm sure I'm not the only one who will now be waiting to ask such questions as "Why did You bother with so many stars?" "Do our jokes make You laugh?" "What's out past the edges?" "Oh, and what causes deja vu?" There is absolutely nothing deep to the song, but that's what makes it so much fun. Even more fun, he slips references to several of his past hits into the song.

Next up is the title song. Now if "Smell the Color 9" has you confused, there's actually a simple explanation. The song is about those times when life isn't making sense and God seems silent. At times like that, listening for God's voice can be like trying to smell the color 9. What I love about the song is that it is an expression of faith turning the trials. And God has used it as such on many occasions in my life over the years. It's got a fun rhythm and a catchy melody. The only problem with the song is the bridge at the end where he goes out of his way to explain the metaphor. Um, Chris? We got it already.

I also love the metaphor driven "Magic Wand." Chris opens talking about a magician who could change things in an instant. Then he wishes he could apply that not only to his own weaknesses but also the problems in the world. I so get that longing. But the song ends with some encouragement as well. While we can't "Presto chango" change, by listening to God's spirit, we can change one day at a time. It's another fun mid-tempo beat that is sure to have your head bobbing.

On the quiet end, I love "My Prayer." It's a very simple song with quiet piano and strings backing the words. Once again, Chris has captured the struggles I face in life so perfectly. This time, it's about the struggle to compose the perfect prayer while God already knows what we truly need before we even ask.

From there, he goes into the upbeat "Somebody's Watchin'." This is one of the soft rock songs, and it works well. It's got a strong base line and heavy guitar. And it's a good reminder that God is always watching us when we are down, no matter how we feel.

Unfortunately, there are a couple songs that I still don't fully appreciate. "Belong" is a quiet ballad about salvation. The piano background is lovely. But the song itself is rather bland. It still doesn't work for me.

Equally disappointing is "The Face of Christ." Another soft rock song, it starts out with quiet guitar, but it really picks up with heavy drum and base once the chorus kicks in. The message of the song, that we are supposed to help the less fortunate, is spot on. But the switch from the quiet verses to the rockier chorus just doesn’t work for me.

Even with a couple minor missteps (I don't skip any of the songs here), this is still an enjoyable disc. So if you are looking for a slightly different sound and some refreshingly honestly lyrics, sounds like it is time to Smell the Color 9.

CD Length: 38:45
Tracks:
1. Questions for Heaven
2. Smell the Color 9
3. Belong
4. The Face of Christ
5. Home Tonight
6. Magic Wand
7. Sailing with Russell
8. My Prayer
9. Somebody's Watchin'
10. Life Means So Much

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.