Friday, April 12, 2013

Music Review: Spoken For by MercyMe

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Many great tracks
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
No sophomore slump here
As MercyMe hits home run
Second time at bat




Second Dose of Fun Pop/Rock with MercyMe

MercyMe's debut produced a surprise off the charts hit on both Christian and non-Christian radio. Naturally, the pressure was on to create a follow up that would be equally loved. While Spoken for doesn't have any giant hits, it's another great release.

Their rock influenced pop is evident from the very first track. "The Change Inside of Me" starts things off with a strong beat and catchy melody as they marvel at the change that Jesus brought to their lives. The song moves stylistically and thematically into "All the Above." This song challenges us to remember what life was like when we became Christians, especially during the trials of life.

While I like all the songs, my favorite four are all in a row. "Crazy" caught my ear the very first time I heard it. It ponders how crazy having faith really is. And let's be honest, truly living like a Christian isn't logical by this world's standards. It's a slow song, almost a ballad.

The next is definitely a contemplative song. "Word of God Speak" was the big hit from this CD, although it never reached the levels of "I Can Only Imagine" from their debut. It's one of the few songs to start with piano instead of guitar. Lead singer Bart Millard's voice is tender as he cries out for God to come and fill him with His Word.

Things speed up again for "Your Glory Goes On." This is a fantastic praise song. Granted, there's little new or original here. But it has a very catchy melody and a great beat. I can find myself humming this one for days.

Rounding out the run of favorites is "The Love of God." This is a cover of the classic hymn. And since I love that hymn, it didn't take much to get me to love this version. It's just shy of mid-tempo. It starts quietly with piano, but as Bart reaches each verse, the other instruments come in and the song builds in volume until it reaches the final verse.

While these last four are my favorites, I really do enjoy all of the songs here. The only disappointing song is "All Because of This." It's only 1 minute and 37 seconds. With just a verse and chorus, I'm just starting to get into it when it ends. Again, it's a song that talks about how Christians are different, this time talking about our reactions to the world around us. It feels like an unfinished song; I really wish they had taken the time to finish it.

MercyMe started as a rock band, and it does show here. While I would classify most of the music as pop/rock, we've got the standard band instruments. While you can hear piano and keyboard in there, the biggest instruments are electric guitar and drums. Their years together show because they've got a polished sound that is fun to listen to. And they've got enough variety between the songs to keep you listening from start to finish.

With Spoken for, MercyMe showed they aren't just one hit wonders. Instead, it was the second step into what is proving to be a long lasting career.

CD Length: 38:01
Tracks:
1. The Change Inside of Me
2. All the Above
3. Spoken For
4. There's a Reason
5. Come One, Come All
6. Crazy
7. Word of God Speak
8. Your Glory Goes On
9. The Love of God
10. Go
11. All Because of You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.