Monday, April 8, 2013

Music Review: Unexpected Gifts by Various Artists

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Michael Tait's "Christmas Song"
Cons: Bethany Dillon's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
The Bottom Line:
Familiar music
Fun new twists that mostly work
You'll enjoy these gifts




Unwrap and Enjoy These Unexpected Gifts

Compilation discs can be quite tricky. I've got a few in my collection I hardly listen to and don't really enjoy. But I've got a few that I love to listen to time and time again. While not perfect, Unexpected Gifts is certainly one I will enjoy for many Christmas to come.

Now before we begin, let's get one thing straight. The subtitle of the disc is "12 New Sounds of Christmas." But I know not all of these tracks are truly new. They only admit that Michael Tait's version of "The Christmas Song" was from a different release. However, I know that Steven Curtis Chapman's version of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" is from his second Christmas project (and I think originally from his Hallmark recording, but I could be wrong on that). It's the same quiet guitar and strings. Don't get me wrong, I love his version. But it is misleading to call it new.

That quibble aside, there are some great tracks here. The disc opens with Rebecca St. James singing "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." I will admit to having a love/hate relationship with her music. It's either one or the other, and this definitely falls into the love category. It's a high energy rock way to start off the album with driving guitar leading into her distinctive vocals. It's a different take on the classic, and that's fine because it works.

And that's probably what makes these songs so unexpected. While all 12 tracks are traditional, or at least familiar, songs they are all new arrangements. You'll recognize them, but they won't sound like every other version you have.

Take "Silent Night." Sanctus Real starts the song off quietly enough with a guitar strumming. Then the vocals come in with a new chorus to the song. "Sleep, sleep/Live in peace/All is calm so sleep." Don't worry, they do have the familiar verses there. And the song builds in intensity. By the time they repeat the new chorus at the end, it's built to a rock ballad. It's slightly faster then you'd expect, but it's good.

Also good are some understated tracks. Shawn McDonald takes on "O Holy Night" with just some strings and a guitar. While it does build some, this is a much quieter take on the song then normal. It's more contemplative and absolutely beautiful.

I also like Chris Tomlin's take on "Angels We Have Heard on High." He really slows it down. It's not your standard take on the song, and I think that's what I like about it. It's built around quiet guitar, and the words really stand out.

But my favorite track on the disc by far is Michael Tait's version of "The Christmas Song." After an opening I've never heard before, he starts in with the familiar words. It's got a full orchestra behind him. It sounds like big band meets jazz. I haven't quite decided if he's channeling Nat King Cole or Johnny Mathis here, but since I love both of them at Christmas time, that's quite a compliment. Heck, the disc is worth it for this track alone.

Unfortunately, not everything works well here. The minor problem is David Crowder*Band's take on "Feliz Navidad." The track itself is fine. It's a fun take on the song with just a hint of mariachi in with the rock. However, the placement seems weird. It's sandwiched between the quieter "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night." Since much of the disc is slower, finding a good place for it is hard, but I'm sure some place else could have been found for it.

The bigger problem is Bethany Dillon's version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." I love the hymn, and the jazz setting for it could have been lots of fun. My problem is with her voice. It is entirely too breathy for me and the side of earthy doesn't help. I've tried her music before, and did not like it then either, so this is more of a personal issue then anything else.

Those two issues aside, this is a strong collection of modern takes on some Christmas classics. If you are looking for something different for your Christmas collection, Unexpected Gifts will fit the bill.

CD Length: 49:11
Tracks:
1. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - Rebecca St. James
2. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Kutless
3. Angels We Have Heard on High - Chris Tomlin
4. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Nichole Nordeman
5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Bethany Dillon
6. O Little Town of Bethlehem - Steven Curtis Chapman
7. Silent Night - Sanctus Real
8. Feliz Navidad - David Crowder*Band
9. O Holy Night - Shawn McDonald
10. O Come, All Ye Faithful - Starfield
11. What Child is This? - Zoegirl
12. The Christmas Song - Michael Tait

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.