Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Music Review: I Want to be Like You by FFH

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Harmonies, several of the tracks
Cons: Some of the lyrics are shallow
The Bottom Line:
Several tracks are good
And some of them are shallow
Still, good overall




Folksy, Fresh, Harmonious Debut

I Want to Be Like You is the debut of Christian band FFH.  Over the course of their career, they have enjoyed a moderate amount of success, but they never became a top tier band.  Frankly, they are one of those bands I enjoy when I am listening to them, but very rarely feel a burning need to hear.

The band's sound is very hard to describe.  They aren't quite rock, they aren't quite pop, and they have a folksy almost country twinge to them at times.  It's helped by lead singer Jeromy Deibler's slight twang when he sings.  Really, the instruments aren't the focus of the band, however; it's the harmonies.  They have one of the tightest harmonies of many of the groups out there.  While Jeromy is definitely the lead, the rest of the group backs him up noticeably and well.

The disc kicks off with one of their better known hits.  "One of These Days" starts off with simple guitar strums as Jeromy sings of what Heaven might be like.  When he reaches the chorus, drums and the rest of the group kick in.  Already, you can hear the harmonies as they group sings together.  It's a mid-tempo number that sets the tone well for the rest of the disc.

I'm a big fan of the title track.  "I Want to be Like You" is a simple, slow number.  Again, the emphasis is on the guitar and the lyrics, although you can hear more keyboard on this number once things get going.  Jeromy sings of all God has done for us and then our response, wanting to be as much like God as we can as imperfect people.

"Power in the Blood," the disc closer, feels like it could be a modern hymn.  The song praises God for all He has done for us.  The guitar and drums behind it are simple while the harmonies are the tightest on the disc.

If you are looking for pure fun, look no further than "Big Fish."  This is a very upbeat song with the focus being on drums keeping the rhythm this go around.  And the group sings plenty of "do dum dee dum's" between verses and choruses.  The song takes its cues from the story of Jonah as it reminds us that "Obedience is neat."  There's nothing really deep here, but it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

On each disc, Jeromy's wife Jennifer sings lead at least once.  Here's it is only once on "I'm Alright."  This song has the biggest country feel to it as Jennifer sings of her faith that God's love will see her through any difficulties that life will through her way.

But this song also brings us to the problem with this debut and the group.  Many of FFH's non-fans complain bitterly about how shallow their lyrics are.  And that's probably why I don't find myself drawn back to them on a regular basis.  In "I'm Alright," for example, they sing that "The Father loves me/and likes having me around."  True, but I think it could be expressed so much better.

That trouble also shows up on "So is His Love" which compares God to various elements of nature.  The themes of "Only You" and "Breathe in Me" have been done before and better by other artists.

I Want to Be Like You offers a few songs of encouragement.  But some of the songs are a little shallow.  FFH is an acquired taste, but if you are looking for something light, you will enjoy them.

CD Length: 47:28
Tracks:
1. One of These Days
2. Take Me as I am
3. Fall to You
4. I Want to be Like You
5. I'm Alright
6. Big Fish
7. Wholly to You
8. So is His Love
9. Only You
10. Breathe in Me
11. Little Change
12. Power in His Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.