Friday, May 31, 2013

Ornament Review: A Visit From Santa #2 - Fawn - 2010 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute ornament
Cons: Obvious seam again
The Bottom Line:
Sold me on series
Fawn makes a cute ornament
It's well worth buying




The Fawn Sold Me on the Visit from Santa Series

Hallmark has too many series ornaments out.  That's my conclusion as I look at all the series I buy.  Originally, I had resisted the A Visit From Santa series.  But when I saw how cute the fawn was in the 2010 entry, I had to start it.

Santa is spreading Christmas cheer to animals in this series.  The ornaments are fairly simple.  We've got Santa and the young deer.  That's pretty much it.  But that doesn't mean it's a bad ornament.  Santa is wearing mostly read with a green sash and a green border with silver stars on his coat.  He's got the traditional red and white hat, although he's got another star at the end.  In his right hand, he's holding a lantern.  His left hand is resting in the middle of the fawn's back.

The fawn has one hoof off the ground, but the other three are firmly planted.  He's looking at Santa.  While he's mostly brown, he's covered in white spots.

I'll admit, I've always loved deer, but even so there is something about this ornament that appeals to me.  While Santa's face is pretty expressionless, the deer seems to be looking at him very adoringly.

Like the first ornament in the series, there is an obvious seam in the animal.  This time, half way through the deer's back is a jig jag line.  It looks like it was planned this time instead of looking like a flaw.  And it's not quite as noticeable.  I'm not thrilled, but I don't mind it as much here.

The ornament is lightweight and sounds hollow.  It feels sturdy enough to survive a few drops and mistreatments, but I wouldn't plan to abuse it much.  I have a feeling this one could break a little more easily than most Hallmark offerings.

While Santa appears to have feet under him, when you flip the ornament over, you'll see he's actually standing on a wide base.  Between that and the deer's three hooves on the ground, the ornament is pretty steady if you set it out.  When you put a hanger through the brass ring on the top of the ornament, you'll find that it tips ever so slightly forward, but it's not enough to be noticeable.

Since the ornament is the second in a series, you can find a 2 in a Christmas tree symbol on the base.  You'll also find the year of release down there.

Santa and the fawn are so cute together.  While I don't need another series of ornaments to collect, A Visit From Santa is just too cute to resist.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Visits from Santa.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.