Friday, May 31, 2013

Ornament Review: Jolly Snowman - Noel Nutcrackers #2 - 2009 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Cute ornament with the added nutcracker movement
Cons: Glitter on your hands
The Bottom Line:
Cute Jolly Snowman
I love his hidden lever
A great ornament




This Snowman Will Make Your Entire Tree Jolly

I wasn't super impressed with the first ornament in the Noel Nutcracker series, but that change with Jolly Snowman.  The second entry in this Hallmark ornament series is a great addition to any tree.

Snowman is a fairly classic looking snowman.  He's made of two balls, a big one for his body and a small one for his head.  He does have legs and feet.  He's wearing ear muffs and a cap with matching scarf.  I'm a little surprised that these are plastic like the rest of the ornament instead of being fuzzy.  He's got three pieces of coal for buttons.  I can't quite tell what his eyes are, but they are black.  He's got a carrot nose and a huge smile has been drawn on his face.  Right there is enough to make you smile.  His right hand is by his side, but he's holding a broom in his left hand.

All the parts that are snow are covered in glitter.  From a distance, it makes him look nice and sparkly.  But if you have to actually touch him, you'll find glitter on your fingers.  Fortunately, he is standing on a base you can hopefully use to keep that glitter rub off to a minimum.

Snowman does have a working nutcracker motion, although I doubt he could really crack any nuts.  The opening that moves is right underneath his smile.  In a touch I love, the lever that moves his mouth is actually the part of his scarf hanging in the back.  It actually moves fairly flush to his body, so when it's down all the way, it looks like just another part of the ornament.  But if you want to move it, it moves very easily.  I always wind up with glitter on my fingers when I move the lever, but it's worth it.

I mentioned earlier that Snowman sits on a base.  This gives him a nice, stable base, so he will stand level if you want to display him with your other nutcrackers.  The bottom of this base is where you'll find the year and number in the series if you are looking for that information.

But Snowman just cries out to be hung, on a tree that is.  At the very top of his hat you'll find the brass hook.  Slip an ornament hanger through it and you'll find that he does lean ever so slightly forward, but it's only noticeable when you are looking for it.

Jolly Snowman is not only jolly, but also cute.  I get a smile on my face every time I look at him.  I'm glad I've added him to my Christmas ornament collection.

Check out the rest of the Noel Nutcrackers series.

Original Price: $15.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.