Sunday, May 5, 2013

Music Review: Speechless by Steven Curtis Chapman

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: "Dive" "With Hope"
Cons: "Next 5 Minutes," "The Invitation," "What I Really Want to Say"
The Bottom Line:
Not quite a classic
But Steven's fans will enjoy
Most of these great songs




Dive Right in to Speechless

I became a Steven Curtis Chapman fan in the early 90's and bought each of his discs as soon as it came out.  The only exception to that was Signs of Life.  I didn't buy it until it had been out for five years or so.  To this day, I haven't warmed up to it.  Fearing that Steven had changed directions too far for me, I was hesitant at first when I heard the he was getting ready to release the disc that would become Speechless.  I got it on release day, and I still enjoy it 10 years later.

Of course, the main reason I bought this disc was "Dive."  This song is still in my top Steven Curtis Chapman songs of all time.  I remember watching him premier it at the Dove Awards a couple months before the CD came out.  From that point on, I couldn't wait to get the disc.  If the rest of the disc stunk, I still had to have this song.  It opens things with programmed drums.  This is one of his rockiest songs ever, although his acoustic guitar playing is still obvious.  What I love is the enthusiasm it shows for letting go and living for God.  The lyrics and music match so perfectly together.

Fortunately, the rest of the disc was pretty good.  For example, the second track, "Speechless," finds us in the more familiar pop/rock category.  Here we get Steven's guitar and lush strings.  The lyrics are once again amazing as Steven ponders how amazing God truly is.  Any time I need a reminder of what God has done for us, I go back to this song.

As with most of Steven's, there are tons of songs I just love here.  Besides "Dive," the other song I still can't get enough of is "With Hope."  In just about every way, this song is the opposite of "Dive."  It's a very slow, guitar driven ballad.  The subject matter is much sadder as well, the death of a child 9or really children).  But the song doesn't wallow in the sadness of the loss or offer empty words reminding us of the hope of Heaven.  Yes, it does talk about Heaven, but it acknowledges our grief, saying we cry with hope.  The song has come to my mind over the years with the loss of my grandmothers.  And I couldn't help but think of it as Steven dealt with the death of his youngest daughter last year.

One of the most popular songs from the disc was "Fingerprints of God."  Originally written for his oldest daughter, the song reminds us that God made us exactly as we are.  I'm not sure why, but I set out to dislike the song the first time I heard it.  Considering it was partially inspired by Psalm 139, one of my favorite passages, I should have liked it.  I think it's because I get the song stuck in my head way too easily.  The pop melody is just way too fun.

"The Change" combines fun and challenge.  We're back to the rock of "Dive," but this time he's aiming squarely at those of us who call ourselves Christians and spend more time consuming Christian products than we do trying to live out our faith.  Don't worry, Steven includes himself in the mix.  It's a good challenge.

There are a couple songs back to back that I liked at first but have lost some of their luster over the years.  "Whatever" is an upbeat pop number contrasting our ideas of "helping" God with the reminder that all God wants is our obedience.  It's fun to listen to, but it just seems a little shallow to me.

My problem with "I Do Believe" is really the same thing.  Of course, here he was trying to be simple.  The song is a statement of faith in the face of skeptics and his own doubt.  I think my problem here is that the chorus repeats "I do" and "I know" just a little too often for me.

And, frankly, there are some songs I still don't like.  But that happens on every disc, right?  Here, the first offender is "Next 5 Minutes."  It's mid tempo pop with a driving bass.  The problem is the idea of living for God with every moment is just too trite, especially as talked about here.  I liked it the first time through, but it just doesn't hold up.

"The Invitation" is another good idea that just doesn't work.  The song is a slow ballad using an analogy of a king inviting all to come to him for their needs.  The problem I have is a problem I often have with Steven's slower songs, they just aren't quite different enough to keep my ear.  Despite the string arrangement on this one, every time it comes up, my ears tune out.

On many of his discs, Steven has a love song for his wife.  (Heck, he did an entire release of love songs.)  One of them is a wedding standard.  But "What I Really Want to Say," the offering here, just doesn't work.  True, it fits in with the Speechless theme as he expresses how hard it is to express how much his wife means to him.  But he has done such a good job of expressing it in the past, I just don't quite buy it.

But the disc ends with an outstanding ballad.  "Be Still and Know" features piano and orchestra as Steven meditates on the command from scripture to "Be still and know that I am God."  It's just a glimpse into all that means for us.

When I am in the mood for Steven Curtis Chapman, there are several classics I pull out.  Then there are the discs I wish I pulled out more because I do tend to enjoy them.  Speechless falls into that camp.  Despite some weak songs, I do enjoy most of what's here.  I just forget how good it really is until I am listening to it again.

CD Length: 55:29
Tracks:
1. Dive
2. Speechless
3. The Change
4. Great Expectations
5. Next 5 Minutes
6. Fingerprints of God
7. The Invitation
8. Whatever
9. I Do Believe
10. What I Really Want to Say
11. With Hope
12. The Journey
13. Be Still and Know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.