Sunday, May 5, 2013

Music Review: VOTA by VOTA

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Incredibly fun music; "Honestly"
Cons: Lyrics could be stronger (but I'm nit picking)
The Bottom Line:
The music is fun
Lyrics are decent as well
Glad I bought this one




Casting Pearls by Any Other Name is VOTA

Considering how much time I spent in the pop/light rock side of the spectrum, the next sentence is going to surprise a few people.  VOTA's self-titled debut is electric dance infused alternative rock.  And here's the bigger shocker.  I really am enjoying it.

First, let's get the confusion out of the way.  VOTA is the band former known as Casting Pearls.  In the four years since their last release, they have added members to the band (there are four listed in the notes but only three in the pictures, don't know why) and changed record labels.  Couple that with the confusion to Christian super band Casting Crowns, and they decided a new name was in order.  Now the question becomes, is this disc truly a debut?  Don't know, don't care.  All I know is that I picked it up on a whim because it was on sale.  And am I ever glad I did.

They get things off to a fast start with "Hard to Believe."  As with most of the tracks on the disc, it is guitar and synthesizer heavy.  And I dare you to listen to it without moving.  I find my head nodding and my toes tapping without even realizing it.  Lyrically, the song marvels in how different the world looks with God's love in our lives.

They slow things down slightly for the mid tempoed "Be Mine."  All that means is you probably won't find yourself nodding along with the beat.  This is a pure love song to God for all He has done for us now.

"Not Finished" takes on the trials of life.  Not that's you'd know it from the music.  This is another hard rocker with an infection beat.  It's a reminder that no matter how hard life gets, God is still at work in our lives.

Slightly slower but even more fun is "I'll Go."  This is a song of surrender to God.  The first verse talks about the decision to let go while the second verse reminds us that, since God loves us so much, we can trust Him.

"Give It to Me" is a pure rocker.  There's very little of the dance influence here as the guys cry out for divine intervention to keep them from living in the middle land of regret.

They're back to mid tempo for "Free to Fail."  The lyrics here remind us that God loves us no matter how many times we fail and is always ready to take us back.

There is nothing acoustic about this disc.  It is unashamedly electric from the guitar to the keyboards and synthesizer and the drums.  No, this isn't an over the top 80's electric but has a very modern feel to everything.

I am first and foremost a lyrics man.  And that's my only real complaint with the disc.  While several of the songs are hard hitting, quite often the lyrics lack that last punch I like.  They are good, but not great.  The music more than makes up for it, however.  I am just having fun singing along.  And not every CD needs to be made up of super strong lyrics, right?

Of course, the one exception to everything I've just said is "Honestly."  And that is by far my favorite song on the disc.  The song sticks with keyboard with just a touch of guitar and strings in there.  It's by far the slowest song on the disc.  And the song pleads with us to open ourselves up to others as a display of what God has done.  The chorus grabbed me the first time through.  "If you don't see the real me you won't see what mercy's done/If you don't see my weakness you won't see what love has won."  Powerful stuff.

VOTA may not be my normal choice for music, but I know I'll be spinning this disc for some time to come.

CD Length: 37:50
Tracks:
1. Hard to Believe
2. Be Mind
3. Love's Taken Over
4. Honestly
5. Not Finished
6. I'll Go
7. Give it to Me
8. Free to Fail
9. Save Ourselves
10. Bye Bye
11. In My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.