Friday, May 3, 2013

TV Show Review: Crusoe - The Complete Series

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Engaging acting and storytelling; stunning visuals
Cons: A little slow to get started; minimal DVD release
The Bottom Line:
As the story builds
The show really draws you in
And it looks great, too




If I Had to be Stranded with this Show, I'd be Fine

While I have never read the novel, the idea of turning Robinson Crusoe into the TV series Crusoe intrigued me.  Pretty much it was the idea of a series set on an island that I couldn't wait to see.  I guess I was one of the few since it sank pretty quickly in the ratings.  But NBC allowed us to see all 13 of the episodes before collecting them in this DVD set.  While it isn't the best show ever, it was entertaining and well worth watching.

Robinson Crusoe (Philip Winchester) has had a hard life.  Picking the wrong side of the insurrection against the King of England, he had to flee to the colonies for his life, leaving his wife Susannah (Anna Walton) and their kids in the hands of trusted family friend Jeremiah Blackthorn (Sam Neill).  But then fate deals him an even worse hand when he is shipwreck on a deserted island with only Friday (Tongai Arnold Chirisa) as a companion.  Together, the two build a friendship while fighting to survive on the island among pirates, natives, and nature.

But back in England, things aren't all they seem.  In a series of flashes, we learn Crusoe's back story and what is currently happening to those he loves in England.  If Crusoe and Friday ever get off the island, what will be waiting for them in England?

I think the thing that surprised me the most about this series the first episode.  I really was expecting something about the shipwreck and Crusoe and Friday meeting.  Instead, we start out with them facing down pirates.  We never actually see the shipwreck, but we do get Crusoe's back story through flashbacks.  (Hm, an island show using flashbacks?  Now where have I heard that idea before?)

This was a lavishly produced period piece.  The costumes and sets were fantastic in making us forget the modern world and get lost in the world of the late 1700's.  The tree house that was built was tons of fun, too.  It was an island mansion with several different levels and plenty of ways up and down while still being defensible.  Crusoe and Friday had built several gadgets that were a tad unrealistic in their design but I was more than willing to overlook that.

Never having read the novel, I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that the producers of the series dramatically changed Crusoe and Friday's relationship.  Here, Crusoe treats him as an equal, friend and brother.  The other characters treat him a bit more like I would expect given the time period.  And, yes, this is a change I completely approve of.

In fact, their strong friendship was something that kept me coming back to the series.  There was an episode that was pretty much just about the two of them, and it had me as engrossed as the ones that involved guest stars.

I was afraid this show would fall into the Gilligan's Island trap of having new guest stars each week but leaving Crusoe and Friday behind at the end.  Yes, there was some of that, but it actually played out quite well in the final few episodes.

To be honest, the first few episodes were fine but nothing more.  I would enjoy them while watching them, but promptly go on about my week and for get the show was on until my DVR told me I had another episode to watch.  However, as everything came together for the last few episodes, I was definitely hooked wanting to know how everything would be tied together.

When the series was canceled, NBC claimed that it was supposed to be a limited series.  I'm not sure how much of that is true, but the producers certainly did a good job of wrapping up major storylines by the end.  The final episode didn't deliver everything I had hoped it would, but it was satisfying and left enough clues I can come up with an idea of what happened next that makes me happy.

And yes, the acting was top notch.  All the leads were masterful at bringing their characters to life every week.  The guest stars were good as well.  But real praise has to go to Tongai Arnold Chirisa as Friday.  He floored me every week with how he played Friday.  Sometimes a look was all it took to let me know what he was thinking (and on more than one occasion make me laugh).

I watched the show in glorious HD, so I am slightly disappointed to report that we are only getting a standard DVD release.  I would have gladly paid extra for Blu-Ray.  Anyway, we get all 13 episodes on three discs.  The only thing offered in the way of extras is a paperback copy of the original novel.  Again, I would have liked more here.  But for a canceled series, I'll take what I can get.

Crusoe was an entertaining show.  A lot of love was put into each episode to make it shine.  If you've missed it, be sure to catch the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.