Sunday, May 5, 2013

Walt Disney World Review: Walt Disney - One Man's Dream

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: A look at Disney's life with some rare artifacts any fan will need to see.
Cons: None for me, but those not interested in Disney will find it boring.
The Bottom Line:
Take a few minutes
And learn about the man who
Created magic

Any Disney Fan Will Want to Visit This Museum in a Theme Park

As you might have figured out by now if you have perused many of my reviews, I am something of a Disney fan.  (I know, I know, and the Pope is slightly Catholic.)  I love the movies.  I love the parks.  And that deep love extends to Walt Disney himself.  I don't care how many times I hear about his life, I lap it all up again.  That's why I made Walt Disney: One Man's Dream a stop when I was in Hollywood Studios.

Frankly, I wasn't sure what to expect.  It's a small, unassuming entrance in the Animation Courtyard.  It originally opened in 2001 as part of the celebration of Walt Disney's 100th birthday.  Turns out it is a decent celebration of the man who founded my favorite company.

The first part is your standard museum.  There are exhibits on Walt's early life from his birth in Chicago to his early life in Marcelline, Missouri and eventual move to Hollywood.  These are presented in standard museum like displays covering both walls of a hallway.

Here's the part that shows a little extra thought.  Many of Walt's biggest accomplishments came from years of influence and work.  There are several displays that help tell the story of Snow White or Disneyland, for example, spread out over the museum.  These exhibits are all labeled accordingly, so you can look for the color coordinated plaques to follow the story.

But this isn't just pictures.  The exhibit also features memorabilia and props from Disney's life.  For example, the special Oscar Walt won for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is on display.  I had to stop and stare at the multiplane camera for a while.  This huge innovention in the early days of animation is something I have heard about all my life.  (I mentioned the Disney nut part, right?)  To actually see it was a thrill.  They had Disney's office brought out from California and recreated at one point.

All along the way, there are new recordings of Walt talking about the various events of his life.  While these recordings haven't been released to the public before, there was very little in them that was a true surprise to me.

Toward the end, they have cut outs of Walt with recordings recreating the famous TV broadcast where he first gave his ideas for EPCOT.  There's another one of his brother Roy dedicating Walt Disney World.

Once you've reached the final room, there are models on display from the various theme parks.  There's a model of Main Street from Disneyland, the castles from Disneyland, Disney World, and EuroDisney, Grizzly Mountain from California Adventure, and the Tree of Life from Animal Kingdom.  But my favorite of these was the model of the Peter Pan attraction.  I loved getting glimpse of the planning for a favorite ride.  These exhibits rotate in and out, so it's worth it to see what they are showing every time you visit.

The final part of this museum is a 15 minute video.  Narrated by Julie Andrews, it gives a brief biography of Walt Disney that provides us with an overview of his life, focusing on some of the hardships he had to overcome to reach his dreams.  Yes, you've already learned much of the information in the museum, but the use of videos and new pictures makes it feel different.  And it is inspiring.  I walked out ready to take on the world to make my dreams come true.

A draw to this attraction for the non-fan is the fact that it is entirely contained in an air conditioned building.  What could be better during the summer heat?

I will admit, I can imagine how tough a sell this would be for the non-Disney fan.  Go to a museum while there are thrill rides and shows to enjoy?  For me, that wasn't an issue.  I could have gladly spent at least another half hour there, but I had to go meet friends for dinner.  But if you are in a group, you may need to allow for the impatient.

The attraction is completely accessible to all.  The one part with stairs also has a ramp.  Their translation service is available.  And there are a couple of different options for the hard of hearing.

I really wish there was something like Walt Disney: One Man's Dream at the California parks.  I'd make it a regular part of my trips.  As it is, if I ever make it back to Hollywood Studios, I will plan more time to enjoy this wonderful hidden gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.