Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for June 7th

It's Friday!!!!  Here are this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

Actually, I'll have two books this week.  Up first is a Middle Grade mystery I finished this week. The Wig in the Window by Kristen Kittscher doesn't come out until the 18th, but she sent me an ARC.  My review will be up Sunday night, but here's a spoiler - I LOVED IT!

Anyway, here's the opening:

I thought I'd mastered the art of escape.  It was our third midnight spy mission, after all.

And from page 56:

I saw the fear.  In fact, I felt it start to creep from my heels to the base of my neck.

The second book is the book I'm currently reading. The Texas Twist by John Vorhaus is the third mystery with con man Radar Hoverlander as the main character.  I'm not quite half way through, but I can certainly tell you it is another wild ride.

And it begins thusly:

A cold wind fell across the face of the west; a scratchy wet towel of a wind that poured down the front range of the Rockies, fathered speed across the prairie, and blasted into Manhattan, Kansas, slamming it sidewise across the north-south artery of Seth Child Road.

And moving on to page 56 we get:

"I'll take a look at it Adam, and if I see anything that looks like it will work for Sarah, we'll be in touch.  But that's how I want to leave things today, okay?  We'll be in touch with you."

Not the best bit, but it's hard to grab something from page 56 that works super well out of context or that isn't a spoiler.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting books you're reading at the moment! Thanks for sharing these, happy reading :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While both mysteries, two very different books, too.

      Delete
  2. The Wig in the Window looks cute for sure!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the start of Texas Twist. Long, shaggy opening sentences like that are my favorite.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to enjoy short, pithy, and unexpected, but this is a really good long opening sentence for sure.

      Delete
  4. The Wig in the Window sounds interesting. Though the teasers were short, it definitely caught my interest.

    My post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.