Friday, June 7, 2013

Ornament Review: Boba Fett and Han Solo - 2 Miniature Ornament Set - 2010 Hallmark Release

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good detail for the size; classic moment
Cons: Small size
The Bottom Line
Boba captures Han
Makes a great film cliffhanger
And ornament set




Miniature Ornaments Worth Getting for the Geek in Your Life

This summer, I swore off Hallmark's miniature ornaments.  They are so small that it is easy to overlook them and they don't have the detail of the regular size line.  That resolve lasted all of five months since I wound up getting the two ornament Boba Fett and Han Solo miniature ornament set.

As with all the Star Wars ornaments Hallmark released in 2010, this set is themed to mark the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back.  At the end of the movie, bounty hunter Boba Fett has captures Han Solo and frozen him in carbonite to take him back to pay his debt to Jabba the Hutt.

One ornament in this set is Boba Fett.  He's dressed in his light gray costume including the visor that keeps us from seeing his face.  He's even holding a gun to make sure no one tries to free Han.  The other ornament is Han frozen in the carbonite.  He can see most of him outlined in the large rectangle that Boba Fett used to transport him back.  There are even control panels on the side of the box.

Now, don't get me wrong, these guys are still small.  They're roughly two inches tall each, or about half the size of the ornaments in the official Star Wars series.  But I like them for two reasons.  For their size, they are very detailed.  This is especially true of the Han in carbonite ornament.  Would I have liked them better fun size?  Yeah, but since this was the only option, I'll take it.  More importantly, I had to get them because this cliffhanger is such an iconic moment in the films.  In fact, the first time I saw the film, I needed to see the next to find out what happened to Han.  This cliffhanger needed to be on my tree.

Boba Fett is very light weight.  He hardly moves a tree branch when you hang him.  He's a bit back heavy, so he doesn't stand on his feet.  Likewise, when you hang him, he tips forward just a bit.

Han is still light, although he is definitely heavier than Boba Fett.  He has a nice wise base, so he stands straight up.  He also hangs straight.

Would I have preferred getting Boba Fett and Han Solo as full size ornaments?  Absolutely.  But this two ornament miniature set is so good I almost don't mind.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.