Monday, March 28, 2022

Book Review: Danger on the Atlantic by Erica Ruth Neubauer (Jane Wunderly Mysteries #3)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Strong mystery and characters in a charming setting
Cons: The pacing
The Bottom Line:
Crossing Atlantic
Plenty of intrigue on board
Enjoyable trip



Cruising with a Spy

Most of the series I read feature a main character who stays fairly close to home.  There might be an occasional vacation book, but those are the exception.  However, Jane Wunderly is wandering all over the place in her mystery series, and I’m enjoying the different locations I get to visit in 1926 as a result.  I’m sure it will be no surprise that Danger on the Atlantic, the third in the series, finds her crossing back home to America.

Jane is traveling back with Redvers.  In fact, she’s been hired by his mysterious agency to help investigate the people on board.  One of them is a German spy.  Fortunately, Redvers believes it is one of three people, but can they get close enough to find out?

Meanwhile, Jane meets Vanessa FitzSimmons, a socialite who is traveling on board with her new husband.  However, her husband vanishes right after they depart.  Then his luggage vanishes from their room.  No one seems willing to believe Vanessa, so Jane steps in.  Can she figure out what happened?  Will that distract her from her primary mission?

Despite the two stories, I did feel the pacing was a little off.  There is enough set up early on that it was a bit slow.  That lead to a climax that was a little rushed.  It’s not bad overall, however since I was caught up in the story.  There were enough twists to keep me engaged.  I did suspect a few things, but I didn’t have the full picture until the end.

The setting comes to life wonderfully.  As I was reading, I was able to dream of traveling in style like Jane does here.  Who doesn’t want to go on vacation?  The time period came to life in small details, and it was easy to get lost in Jane’s world.

While we had a group of supporting characters in both books, this time it is just Jane and Redvers returning.  They are more than enough to carry the book, and I appreciated watching their growth here.  The rest of the cast is strong and helped pull me into the story.

Danger on the Atlantic is a pleasure to read.  I was sad when I finished and it was time to return to the present day.  If you are looking for an enjoyable historical mystery, this is the series for you.

Enjoy more trips back in time with the rest of the Jane Wunderly Mysteries.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book

2 comments:

  1. Traveling by book is my only way of traveling right now so that appeals to me. The story does sound interesting but too bad the pacing was a bit off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been on a couple of cruises but I suspect not in the same style as these characters!

    Thanks for sharing with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.