Monday, March 21, 2022

Movie Review: A Quiet Place

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Creative premise for a creature horror movie
Cons: Still falls into a few genre cliches
The Bottom Line:
Unique horror film
Makes the most of its premise
Silently watch it



Listen Closely, and I’ll Tell You What I Thought About A Quiet Place

Naturally, I heard about A Quiet Place when it first came out in 2018.  I heard all the people praising it.  Given my love/hate relationship with horror movies, I wasn’t sure if I was interested in it or not.  But when a friend really wanted to watch it, I decided I’d see what all the praise was about.

The movie tells the story of the Abbott family, led by parents Lee and Evelyn (real life couple John Krasinski and Emily Blunt).  They are trying to keep their family safe in the middle of the worst disaster the world has seen.  One of the conditions of this disaster is that you have to stay absolutely silent even as you go about your normal life.  Can they keep their family safe?

Yes, I’m being very vague.  That’s because too much more information would get into spoiler territory, and it is best going into this movie knowing as little as possible.  Part of the fun is seeing how the story unfolds, what the Abbotts face, and how they deal with it.

Let’s be clear about one thing.  This is a creature horror film.  As such, it falls into some of the familiar tropes and plot points.  Now, that’s not to say that this is a bad thing, but it isn’t a completely original idea.

Having said that, there are some wonderful complications that the characters face as the movie unfolds.  It is set after the crisis has been going on for a while, so the characters know how to try to survive, but real life throws things at them they can’t always deal with successfully.  Watching them try is entertaining.

I’ll admit I don’t often pay attention to a movie’s soundtrack since I’m so caught up in the dialogue and action.  Here’s that soundtrack is vital to the movie, and it is wonderful.  It really helps set the mood, both when it is there and when it isn’t.

This is a movie you have to watch carefully.  There is very little dialogue, for obvious reasons.  We also get the background we need from things on the screen.  So be prepared to pay close attention.

Even without dialogue, we still get to know the characters and fully understand their relationships.  That’s thanks to the writers who carefully crafted the script and the actors who expertly bring it to life.  You truly do feel for the characters and everything they are going through.

While this is a horror movie, it never gets too graphic.  Some of the scenes are certainly intense, hence the PG-13 rating, but the worst of the violence is kept off the screen, which I was thankful for.

Maybe because so many people had praised it, I didn’t find it quite as great as others seemed to.  But I still enjoyed it.  Since I’d been so curious about it, I was glad I saw it.

If you are curious about A Quiet Place as well, and you haven’t watched it yet, I definitely recommend that you give it a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.