Friday, March 4, 2022

March 4th's Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56

We've made it to Friday again.  Finally.  It's been a long, crazy week at work.  Let's kick off the weekend with a little Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56.

But before we get to that, I'm going to do a bit of plug of a different type.  I run a group over at Facebook called First Line Monday.  Yes, it really is as simple as it sounds.  Every Monday, the members of the group post the first line (or more) from what they are reading.  I don't allow any promotion in there, of your own books or your blog, but I do hope you'll come and join us.

Now, you're regularly scheduled plug.

This week, I'm pulling quotes from A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman.


I am a huge fan of this author's Mrs. Pollifax books (I might have even borrowed Carstairs from a character in that series), but I have never read any of her non-Mrs. Pollifax books.  Until now.  I'm so glad I picked this book up.

The book has a prologue, so I am pulling quotes from both it and Chapter 1:

Prologue: At the Abbey of St. Tabitha, the sisters met to discuss gravely which of the seventeen among them should leave the abbey and go out into the world to look over the property so astonishingly bequeathed to them.

Chapter 1: Sister Hyacinthe was as dark as Sister John was fair, given to small superstitions, a certain amount of brooding that drew her brows together frequently, and a tendency to expect the worst.

I like both of these for two different reasons.  One does a good job at setting up the story.  The other tells us a bit about one of the main characters.  Both made me want to read more.

Jumping ahead to page...57 (okay, I'm cheating, but I loved this quote), we find this:

Sister Hyacinthe looked at her radiant face and felt a stab of foreboding.  "Sister John, we're not detectives, we're nuns."

I finished this book last weekend, so my review will be up on Tuesday.  I hope you'll come back to read it.

Meantime, have a great weekend.

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the sound of this book! The opening of the prologue almost feels like a movie opening, you can just *see* it, can't you? Also, nuns becoming detectives is amazing. I hardly ever use my FB but your group there does sound very fun, I'll see if I can pop in for some Monday fun soon! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be giving this book a closer look because I'm fascinated by stories with nuns as characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My First line is from Enchanting the Heiress by Kristi Hunter:
    December 1817. Newmarket, England
    How could Jonas Fitzroy possibly follow his twin sister’s directive to stop watching over and protecting her, when she actually believed in the crazy plans she’d just laid out to him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read this author but have heard good things about her books. These excerpts make me want to read this one. I especially love the 56/57 quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've heard of this book. It looks interesting, and I like the quotes too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds interesting, hope you enjoyed it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good one! Intriguing quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you pulled your nickname from this series, very cool! A must-read then!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to try this author one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently halfway through To Disguise the Truth by Jen Turano. It's great!
    "Not that you're going to want to hear this, but after listening to your diatribe against Arthur for the past hour, complete with complaints about his character, his handsome face, and the way he makes you long to punch him, I'm left wondering if the contentious relationship both of you share is something entirely different than a clash of two strong personalities."
    Have a wonderful weekend! 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have absolutely loved all the Dorothy Gilman I've read (just read and adored Mrs. Pollifax on Safari) and I have this on my shelf. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first line is from Until the Leaves Fall in Paris by Sarah Sundin. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/03/04/until-leaves-fall-in-paris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.