Thursday, March 10, 2022

March 11th's Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56

Hello, and welcome to Friday!  That must mean it is time for Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56.

This week, I'm featuring A Dismal Harvest by Daisy Bateman.


This is the second in her Marketplace Mysteries series, and I really enjoyed it.

Here's now the book begins:

"I can't find the frog."

I did a double take when I read that, then laughed a little bit.  I immediately knew I had to use it for this week's post.  Isn't that a fun opening line?

Moving ahead to page 56, Claudia is talking to Eugene, who is a beekeeper, and has mastered the bee pun.  With that background, here's the passage:

Claudia didn't think it sounded so wild, and she would still like to have known the name of the client.  But before she even could come up with a bad pretense for asking, Jeannie came through the front door and made a beeline for them.  (Now she was doing it.)
"Da-ad," Jeannie said, somehow managing to give the word at least three syllables.  "Are you done yet?"
"Okay, okay, I'm coming." He gave Claudia a wave as he headed back to his stall.  "I've got to buzz off now."

I love a good pun (which is good considering the punny titles of the cozies I typically read), so I loved that exchange.

The book officially releases next Tuesday, so I hope you'll come back for my full review then.

In the meantime, have a great weekend.

11 comments:

  1. The frog is intriguing, lol.
    We definitely need light and funny books these days...
    Mine is in French this time. With free copies available, and credits to earn an egift card: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/22/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-first-chapter-first-paragraph-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, love the frog opener. Enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, fun opening. Enjoy! Mine is up today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, very creative opening line for sure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great opener! This sounds like a fun read. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about this series. Sounds really good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see I'm part of the concensus on the frog... LOL... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, did a double take on the word "frog". Wasn't expecting that. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first line is from a Love Inspired by Susie Dietze releasing in April: A Need To Protect.
    “There’s a man in the yard.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fun opening line. Mine is from The Veteran's Vow by Jill Lynn. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/03/11/the-veterans-vow/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.