Wednesday, March 9, 2022

TV Show Review: Supergirl - Season 6

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Last few episodes; ending
Cons: Kara’s separation; all the lectures
The Bottom Line:
Show’s final season
Plagued with so many issues
Last episodes strong



“How Are We Losing to a Cat?”

I wasn’t that upset when I heard that season 6 of Supergirl would be it’s last.  I’ve mainly kept watching it because of the crossovers with the other shows in the Arrowverse.  Sadly, the show did very little to change my mind as this final season went along.

We pick up exactly where we left off.  Lex Luthor (recurring guest star Jon Cryer) has just sent Kara Danvers, aka Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), to the Phantom Zone.  As she attempts to escape, she meets up with a surprising person from her past as well as the imp Nxylgsptinz (Peta Sergeant).

Meanwhile, on Earth, Supergirl’s friends do their best to find a way to bring her back.  But as they try one thing after another with only a thin thread of hope they will succeed, will they give up?

This wasn’t the only Arrowverse show that decided they needed to separate characters this season.  Just like with that other show, this season’s first half struggled because Kara was separated from everyone else.  I watch these shows because I love the cast together and how they interact.  Separate one from the rest, and the show suffers.  Furthermore, we know that Kara will reunite with the team, so the longer they spread it out, the more I was bored.

Not that things really improved in the second half of the season.  My biggest frustration with this show has been their willingness to preach instead of telling a good story.  Maybe it was because they knew it was the final season, but that got amplified here.  Every social issue they could think of got brought in to the show.  And it wasn’t just because I’m a conservative that this bothered me.  It was so bad that a liberal website I regularly read for TV news commented on it.

Having said that, there were a few things I did enjoy.  The storyline with the final villain of the series was interesting, and as the show finally decided to start taking that seriously, things picked up.  In fact, the final few episodes were the best of the season.  The final episode wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but I didn’t mind since it left the characters in a good place, bringing back several former cast members.  I loved getting to see them again.

While I’m not anxious to revisit the characters because I don’t trust the writers, I was very happy with where the characters ended.  I ended the show with a smile on my face.

And I do blame the writers for my issues with the show.  The effects and acting were all good, as always.

It’s a shame the strong ending of the series was diminished by the flaws earlier in the season.  Only diehard fans will enjoy season 6 of Supergirl.  If you are a casual fan, you can easily skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.