Friday, March 18, 2022

March 18th's Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, Friday 56, and Book Blogger Hop

Welcome to Friday!  That must mean it is time for Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56.  I'm also going to join the Book Blogger Hop this week.

This week, I am featuring An Eternal Lei by Naomi Hirahara.


This is the second book in a series set in Hawai'i.  This one is set in October of 2020.  I wasn't sure I was ready to read a book set during the pandemic, but I enjoyed it.

Here's how the book begins:

At first my sister Dani thought she saw a giant jellyfish bobbing on the surface of Waimea Bay.

Yes, this is a mystery, so it is hardly a spoiler alert to way it wasn't a jellyfish.

I'm going with a very brief teaser from page 56 this time.  I'm trying to avoid a spoiler, and I think this works better short:

"But there's a woman dat keeps calling about her status."

I'll have my review up on Tuesday, release day.  For now, I'll just say I enjoyed it.

And now, this week's Book Blogger Hop question:

Do you think listening to an audiobook instead of reading the print version makes it more difficult to write a review?

I was reluctant to review audio books for years, but once I finally decided to start it, I realized it wasn't that hard for me.  I still need to talk about plot and characters, etc.  I also will talk about the narrator.  Since I listen only while driving in the car or doing mindless stuff around the condo, I don't find my concentration wandering, either.  I don't listen to that many books a year, usually around 12, but I'm getting to some authors I have wanted to read but would probably have never gotten to otherwise this way, and I love it.

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before. The opening sentence grabbed attention. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon (years ago) and enjoy books set there if they aren't too stereotypical.
    I don't listen to audiobooks because I'm the kind of learner who has to visualize and find audio I tried too difficult for me to catch every paragraph's content. So yes, writing reviews for them would be harder for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!
    I'm very near the end of Love on Ice by Carolyn Miller, so I will share a line from there. No worries ... no spoilers! LOL!
    "Holly yawned. Three hours' sleep wasn't nearly enough but was all she'd been able to manage before the interviews had started again super early this morning."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Interesting excerpts. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good. Those snippets have me intrigued. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a killer mystery! ;-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I'd want to read a book set during the pandemic either but this does sound like a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wouldn't know by looking at the cover that this book is a mystery. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So what was the jellyfish blog thing? Just wondering. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's weird to read or watch anything set during the pandemic

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first line is from A Strike To The Heart by Danielle Grandinetti :
    Friday, November 13, 1933. Northern, Wisconsin

    Miles Wright pressed his eye to the A5 telescopic sight attached to his Springfield long-range rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would find it a challenge to review audio books since the narrator is part of the experience and can make or break a book. My first line is from Malicious Intent by Lynn H. Blackburn. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/03/18/malicious-intent/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.