Friday, January 13, 2023

January 13th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday the 13th.  All I have to say is, the day can't be all bad when it is pay day, right?

I'm kicking off the day with a Friday post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three this week, I have teasers from Where the Guilty Hide by Annette Dashofy.


Yes, this is a mystery, but it's a police procedural and not one of the cozies I would typically read.  I finished it earlier in the week, and I really enjoyed it.

Here's how the book begins:

Although Detective Matthias Honeywell had seen more egregious crimes in his years with the Major Crime Unit and as a patrolman, home invasions always ripped open an old wound that never quite healed. 

And now they’d had two in one week.

That definitely grabbed my attention.

The book is told in alternating third person point of view.  The opening chapter was for Detective Honeywell's point of view, but at 56% into the book, we get a teaser from the other viewpoint character's point of view.

Emma reached out and nudged the door farther open. 

Nothing happened. No one jumped out at her. No sounds came from inside. Emboldened, Emma peered through the screen door.

What did she find inside?  I'll leave that for you to discover.

As I said, I enjoyed the book.  It officially comes out next Friday, the 20th, but I will have my review up a day early on Thursday the 19th.

Let's switch gears to this week's Book Blogger Hop question, which is:

Are there any new books you're excited to read in 2023?

Yes.  Lots!  Ellen Byron has two books coming out in the next couple of months Wined and Died in New Orleans and Four Parties and the Funeral as Maria DiRico.  There will be a new Maine Clambake Mystery from Barbara Ross this summer entitled Hidden Beneath.  I'm anxious to see how James Riley wraps up his newest trilogy with Happily Ever After.  And that's just off the top of my head.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

15 comments:

  1. So many good books coming out this year! I'm excited about the new ones from Ellen Byron/Maria DiRico, too. And Ellery Adams has a new one in her Secret, Book, and Scone Society series, too, Paper Cuts. I'm super excited about that!

    The Dashofy book sounds like one I'd like. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of dual timelines, they have to be done right, but hope you like this one. It sounds like it's off to a good start. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first line is from Within These Walls of Sorrow by Amanda Barratt
    Prelude. Zosia Krakow, Poland
    The sun shone the day I married Ryszard Lewandowski.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of those snippets grabbed my attention. I just added this to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That opening hits a little too close to home given the recent spree of home invasions in my city. Fortunately no murders, although one of the victims did get shot when he attempted to shoot one of the home invaders. The mystery does sound good though and like a promising start to a new series. I love the setting--Lake Erie is kind of near where my dad grew up and where some family still live.

    There are so many upcoming books I am looking forward to. I don't know if I will be able to read them all, but one can dream, right? I hope you do get to read the books you mentioned (and many more!). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always impressed that anyone knows the publication dates for upcoming books. I can never seem to keep track of what is happening with books I am interested in and often am shocked when I discover they've been out for months. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of great new books coming out in 2023! I hope you enjoy all the books you're looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good. I do enjoy police procedurals as well as the cozies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound interesting, glad you enjoyed it. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading What Happens Next by Christina Suzann Nelson. It's a great story!
    "Dora placed the flyer in a box and covered it with the lid. She looked around the house, so empty now that Paul had moved from their spare bedroom to an apartment downtown."
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that cover, but I've been very drawn to purple lately. Have a wonderful weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched the Family History Mysteries and loved it! Thanks for the heads up! This series is on my TBR. I'm debating using one of my five Hoopla checkouts for the audio of the first book. This series looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see that Where the Guilty Hide is a compelling read. Thank you for sharing it with us, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read many books in this genre.. used to ages ago, and this one does sound intriguing..
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great first line. I'm currently reading Alaskan Mountain Search by Sarah Varland. The first line is: "It was never truly dark at this time of year--mid June--in the land of the midnight sun." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.