Sunday, January 29, 2023

Music Review: One Name by Selah

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Six new songs of praise from Selah
Cons: None from me
The Bottom Line:
Six new songs of praise
In Selah’s uplifting style
For amazing God




Selah Releases an EP filled with Anthems of Praise

The trio Selah is best known for their modern covers of classic hymns, and rightly so.  However, I also love the more modern anthems of praise they’ve started filling their releases with.  Last fall, they released two new CD, one a Christmas project and one a brand-new collection of hymns.  I liked both of them, but I was missing the anthems, so I was happy when they followed those releases up with One Name.

This is a six track EP, but it is filled with new to me songs.  The first of these is the title track.  “One Name” has a Latin flavor that makes it lots of fun.  It reminds us that Jesus is the only way to be saved.  Things slow down for “So Beautiful,” which focuses on what God has done for us and praises Him because of it.  “God of Ages” comes closest to feeling like a classic hymn and it focuses on praising God for who He is, while “Jesus Victorious” feels like it could be a more modern praise song.  The tempo picks up a little more with “Crying Holy” before we get to the souring melody of “Glory Hallelujah.”

There’s actually a bonus track on the disc.  This seventh song is “Gloria E Aleluia” or “Glory Hallelujah” in Spanish.  For this track, the trio is joined by Gabriel Guedes.  I skip right by this one since I don’t know Spanish, but it’s a bonus track, so that doesn’t bother me.  Those who speak Spanish will love it.

By now, I feel like Selah fans know what to expect from them, and that’s exactly what they will get here.  There really isn’t any change in their sound and their lyrics are still focusing on praising God.  But that’s why we love them, right?

If you’ve never given Selah a chance and this sounds like something you’d enjoy, I recommend you pick up One Name.  If you are already a fan, you’ll love this shorter release.

CD Length: 31:45
Tracks:
1. One Name
2. So Beautiful
3. God of Ages
4. Jesus Victorious
5. Crying Holy
6. Glory Hallelujah
7. Gloria E Aleluia (with Gabriel Guedes)

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.