Monday, January 9, 2023

My Favorite Books Read in 2022

As usual, I'm probably one of the last to offer up my favorite books of 2022.  I'm usually only a week or two ahead of review date in my reading, so I finish up my books for the year right before Christmas and need some time to think things over to compile my list.

This list represents my favorite books read for the first time in 2022.  While most of them were published this past year, there are a couple of exceptions.

I realized after I'd narrowed down the list that everything is something I read a physical copy of this year.  Considering roughly half of the books I read in any given month are ebooks or audiobooks, I found that funny.

It was hard to narrow my list down.  There were quite a few that almost made it.  I really need to start making a list of potential books as I go along each year so I'm not trying to remember some of the books a year later to determine if I enjoyed it, or if it is truly a favorite.  Oh well, maybe this year.

I'm just listing all the books together this year, not breaking it down by category.  I will be posting them in the order I read them, and the link will take you to my full review.

Here are the lucky 13:

Singing in the Dark by Ginny Owens
The only non-fiction book on the list.  I've long been a fan of Ginny Owens's music, which is what made me interested in this book in the first place.  It is part encouragement and part conviction.  It really spoke to me when I read it.  I need to read it again soon.

A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman
I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to get to Dorothy Gilman's non-Mrs. Pollifax books, but I'm thrilled I finally picked up this one.  A fast moving story and plenty of humor, which is exactly what I expected.  Since it was written in the 1970's, it is dated, but it is still very fun.

The Shadow of Memory by Connie Berry (Kate Hamilton Mysteries #4)
Two mysteries, one in the past and one in the present, come together once again for a fabulous book.  I was left in awe at the complex plot once it had all been resolved.

Murder at Blackwater Bend by Clara McKenna (Stella and Lyndy Mysteries #2)
I read books two and three in the series this year, and really enjoyed them both.  This one just edged the other to make this list for reasons I won't get into since they would be spoilers.

The Lessons We Learn by Liz Milliron (Homefront Mysteries #3)
There was so much going on in this book, I had a hard time putting it down.  Yet there was still time for some character growth.  Add in the 1943 setting in Buffalo, New York, and you've got a winner.

Muddled Through by Barbara Ross (Maine Clambake Mysteries #10)
A consistent entry on the list, this series never disappoints.  Once again, we've got an interesting mystery that kept me engaged the entire time coupled with great characters.  And I'm loving watching what is happening with the main character's personal life.

Movieland by Lee Goldberg (Eve Ronin #4)
This police procedural is the strongest in the series to date.  The plot was wonderful.  I had no idea where it was going until the end.  Yet the characters are continuing to evolve, which I also love.

Death in the Aegean by M. A. Monnin (Intrepid Traveler Mystery #1)
Hold on tight when you pick up this debut.  Part travelogue, but never at the expense of the plot, this caper has lots of twists and turns and two main characters you can't help but root for.

Mrs. Claus and the Evil Elves by Liz Ireland (Mrs. Claus Mysteries #3)
This series gets better with every book.  Murder and mayhem at the North Pole with a heavy dose of fantasy and plenty of humor.  How can you do wrong with that?

Spy School: Project X by Stuart Gibbs (Spy School #10) 
Ten books in, and this series is still going strong.  Plenty of page turning action and laugh out loud moments yet the characters still get a chance to grow.  Don't let the fact that it's aimed at kids keep you from enjoying it.

Cry Wolf by Annette Dashofy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #7)
I read two books by this author this year, and either really could have been on this list.  I picked this one because of a couple twists in the plot, but so far I have yet to be disappointed by anything I've read in this series.

The Counterfeit Wife by Mally Becker (Revolutionary War Mysteries #2)
If I had read the first book in 2021 when it was released, it would have made my list last year.  Instead, I had to choose between both books in this series.  I picked this one because of a couple of twists in it that I really appreciated.  But both are great.

Rum and Choke by Sherry Harris (Chloe Jackson, Sea Glass Saloon Mysteries #4)
I really didn't plan it this way, but for the third book in a row, I have an author I read two books from, and it could have been either book.  I loved the elements of this one - an obstacle competition and a treasure hunt - so it edged out the other one.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting about the physical versus digital copies. I read so few physical copies anymore. Remember loving A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman, and Spy School installments always surprise me. I think I must be over them, but his writing is just so good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't do a favorites of the year list. I always find them so hard. I wish I read more physical books simply because they make for such better photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting that your favorites were mostly physical books! Nice list, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mark! What a wonderful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! I love seeing friends on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Work has me on a ridiculous delay, but thanks for including me among such great company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spy School is on the TBR Eleanor and I have of books we want to read together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only read three of these books, but they were all great. Nun in a Closet, (reread last year) Rum and Choke, and Cry Wolf. The two new ones were among my favorite of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun list. I do enjoy seeing everyone's favorites lists. I have such a difficult time picking my favorites each year, which I guess is a good problem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Connie Berry and Dorothy Gilman has become one of my favorite authors. I'm looking forward to reading some of her non-Mrs. Pollifax books. A great mix of books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.