Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Movie Review: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Good characters, action, effects, fun cameos
Cons: Ending feels like too much of a cheat to really work for me
The Bottom Line:
Doc Strange answers call
For help across dimensions
Fun parts and weak parts



“Rule Number One of Multiversal Travel – You Don’t Know Anything.”

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the original Doctor Strange movie because I found it too, well, strange.  But since I know that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was going to follow up on WandaVision, I was looking forward to the sequel.  Even so, it was just a couple of weeks ago that I finally got around to watching it.

Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is attending the wedding of his ex, Dr. Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) when the reception is interrupted by a huge fight happening outside.  A strange creature is after a young woman, America (Xochitl Gomez).  What’s really weird is that Dr. Strange had just had a dream about America the night before.  Yet he’s never met her before.

Dr. Strange quickly learns that America has been jumping across dimensions in an effort to stay away from someone who is determined to get his hands on America’s powers.  Not that America knows how to control her dimension hopping power.  In an effort to get some help, Dr. Strange turns to Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen), who is currently in isolation.  But when the next attack goes wrong, Dr. Strange finds himself with America in a different dimension.  Can they stop the force against them and find a way home?

Ironically enough, I found this movie a little better grounded than the first one even with all the dimension hopping.  Of course, it helps that we’ve already set up the multiverse in other recent Marvel movies and shows, so I’ve had the time to wrap my head around that idea.  And, I’ve gotten used to Dr. Strange and his powers, so they didn’t feel so out there to me.

The movie pretty much jumps into the story.  We have just enough time to get reacquainted with the characters before the first attack happens.  From there, it’s a fast-paced race that keeps us engaged the entire time.

However, it was the characters where the movie was a letdown for me.  There was one in particular that I just didn’t like what they did with.  I can understand it.  I just didn’t like it.

Which leads us to the climax.  Again, I have mixed feelings on it.  From one stand point, it feels like a cop out ending where the writers didn’t know how to end things.  On the other hand, I feel like it truly did create some nice character growth.  Or maybe it was just the character growth I was hoping for since looking back on it, it was a little forced.  And that forced feeling is probably why I didn’t buy the ending.

There are some very fun cameos at one point in this movie that fans of Marvel in all its movie incarnations will appreciate.

None of my problems with the movie come from the actors.  The cast is all fantastic and bring their characters to life well.

Likewise, the special effects are all wonderful.  And there are a lot of special effects.  The actions scenes are fun as well.

I don’t have a good sense of how the various Marvel movies are building to anything right now, so I will be interested in seeing how Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ties into that storyline.  If you are still interested in the Marvel universe, you’ll want to see this movie.  However, it’s not the strongest movie in the series.

1 comment:

  1. I have not watched any of the Dr. Strange movies. I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.