Friday, March 17, 2023

Movie Review: Unexpected Grace

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Strong characters, satisfying story
Cons: Several issues with the plot
The Bottom Line:
Looking to make friends
With expected results
Good despite plot flaws


Ultimately Hopeful Look at Loss

I’m not completely sure why I decided to watch Unexpected Grace.  I am expanding my Hallmark movie viewing a little, but I could tell this one was going to be sad from the commercials.  Honestly, I think the biggest draw for me was Erica Durance in the lead role.

As the movie opens, we meet mother and daughter Noelle and Toni (Erica Durance and Sophia Powers) in the local tea room.  While Toni is clearly entering early adolescence, we can tell the two are close.  Toni is looking for a best friend, and Noelle decides to help out.  They buy a helium balloon, Toni attaches a note to it, and they let it fly.

Two years later, the balloon is found by Grace (Erica Tremblay).  She and her dad, Jack (David Attar), have recently moved to Ashland, Oregon.  Grace is desperate for friends, so she reaches out to Toni, and is thrilled to hear back from Noelle.  What will their new relationship bring everyone?

The way the previews were cut, I guessed one plot point before I even started watching the movie, yet the film kept teasing it until about the half way point.  Honestly, I’m not sure why since it is very obvious what is going on.

There’s also a rather big plot hole – why Noelle keeps emailing Grace.  I get it, to drive the plot.  They try to explain it later in the movie, but it never made much sense to me.

And there’s the completely unneeded sub-plot involving Jack and Grace’s neighbor.  It does nothing but slow things down early on.

Yet, the story itself was rather compelling.  Despite all these things that were jumping out at me, I was drawn into it.  I wanted the characters to reach a level of peace with what is going on in their lives.  I found the climax satisfying.

It helps that the main characters are all likeable.  Yes, Grace acts out at times, but underneath it, we can see why (usually), and it allows for some growth for her character.  The script is strong in this area – it’s just the plot that could have been better.

Praise here also goes to the actors.  Everyone is strong, bringing the words to life and fully inhabiting the characters.  It had a bit of the Hallmark effect to it, but it was kept to a minimum.

If you are looking for a light, fluffy movie, this isn’t for you.  But if you are looking for something a little heavier, albeit with some plot issues, you will want to check out Unexpected Grace.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how much I love, love, LOVE, this movie. I typically prefer romcoms and mysteries over the dramas, but this one had all the feels for me right down to the detail of using biodegradable balloons at the end. I gave it five out of five stars on Letterboxd. It's my favorite Hallmark movie of the year so far, even more so than the mysteries...which is saying a lot! Regarding why Noelle kept emailing Grace, I think it was because she was in so much pain she wasn't thinking clearly. She had no one and finally she made a connection with someone. I get that. But I also see your point. It can come across as a little weird. I actually liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched any Hallmark movies for a while, but you're making me want to watch more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched this movie and thought it was better than the average Hallmark movie....far more depth & not as cookie cutter in method. I thought the reason she communicated made perfect sense. Right before her daughter got sick, she sent out that balloon message. Someone who was her daughters age replied and she instantly felt the connection with her daughter...something she desperately missed. I do agree that other woman was needless, but in the typical Hallmark formula they otherwise avoided, there is always a bad choice that in some silly way shows us the better choice. Totally unnecessary, now or in any movie lol. But I thought this movie was great, and like a good book, I didn't want it to end. I haven't said that a whole lot abou most Hallmark movies lately!! I actually hit Google to see if it was a Hallmark...I wasn't sure since it was so much better than most. Hope they do more "atypical" ones like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.